More info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:30 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

More info

An email from my friend, Michael Silbergleid:

"The following is taken from the March issue of DigitalTV magazine which mailed today. Keep in mind that this magazine is geared toward broadcasters...

JVC (NAB Booth C4526)

Holy crap!"

A real HDV camcorder--shoulder style. With 3-CCDs (1/3") and a real Fujinon 16x servo lens. Not just 720p/60 but 720p/24 with 1080i output as well (and SD DV). SD memory card set-up. Timecode. Four audio channels. Ready to say "holy crap?" Under $10K... with lens!

It's marketed as ProHD--professional HDV guts (overcoming the
consumer HDV shortcomings) with a body on steroids (officially the camera is the GY-HD100). Add in optional Anton-Bauer power and DTE (Direct To Edit) and things get even better.

ProHD will do for HD what DV did for digital video. This is more than just a taste of HD. Instead of comparing ProHD to other HDV cameras, at presstime JVC plans on comparing ProHD image quality with HDCAM at NAB.

ProHD cameras and decks open up a lot of possibilities, but it takes some forward thinking:

Take ENG for example. You might be thinking... "What do I do with all my 2/3" lenses--that was a hefty investment?" True, it was. Of course they may already be depreciated and the GY-HD100 comes with a Fujinon 16x 1/3" lens, so it's not like you have to buy more stand-alone lenses (a 13x wide zoom and 1/2" lens adapter are available).

But you would need HD lenses when you went HD anyway. The question really is: What are you going to do with those SD lenses and cameras?"

heath
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

"Instead of comparing ProHD to other HDV cameras, at presstime JVC plans on comparing ProHD image quality with HDCAM at NAB."

Damn I wish I could go.
I wonder how it will hold up.
I'm also curious to see if this comparison will be between 'camera output' quality, or 'off the tape' quality?

Both would be interesting to see.

I also can't wait to find out what "under $10,000" means exactly. If they are marketing this as a departure from present HDV models, and plan on comparing it NOT to the Z1, but instead to HDCam models..... I have a feeling that 'under $10,000' could very easily mean $9999.99.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:39 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

It usually does, maybe minus $500 to $1500, or around $1000 average. Depends on the dealer, etc.

heath
Old March 23rd, 2005, 04:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Yes. A lens like that in HD is going to be expensive. But even still it's cheap considering this camera, despite a variation on HDV, has a much better body and interchangeable lenses, plus the hard drive attachment (no lugging around a seperate hard drive).

I have a feeling that the FX1/Z1 will be the XM2 of HD compared to JVC's XL1s. This is going to be interesting indeed.

Now, is that viewfinder CRT or LCD? Also I wonder what goodies may lay underneath that pop out colour LCD on the side.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:34 AM   #5
JVC Regional Sales Engineer

The drive is yet to be worked out.

Under the fold-out LCD are control buttons.

The viewfinder is color LCD. Remember we don't want to make CRTs anymore.

I think 2 audio channels not 4 on the GY-HD100.

The comment about shoulder mount still can lead to confusion with the other 2/3 inch CMOS unit a year away. That is the one in a more traditional shoulder form factor.

This looks like a handheld until you slip your hand into the lens strap and put your eye to the viewfinder and you realize that the camera is now sittting on your shoulder just fine.
kfreed@jvc.com
Ken Freed JVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:23 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Ken,

Thanks for the information! Please keep us up-to-date!

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems