HD100u video clip. People holding etc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 8th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD100u video clip. People holding etc

Here is a video clip of the HD100u that shows people handling the unit.

http://www.gpjco.tv/jvc.htm

Here is a quote, I found funny.
<<<If I got cans of cream and red spray paint, I bet I could rustle up what everyone hoped the XL2 should have been.>>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for that! I've been looking for this sort of footage since NAB.

The camera looks great, but bigger than I expected - bigger than the XL2, that's for sure.

What's that big blocky thing in the back of the camera?
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Looks like the battery to me
Chris Jothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Yes indeed, that's an IDX battery (plus an IDX o.b. light up on top).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I think people who are not pros and choose to buy the HD100 should take into consideration the higher costs of accesories for such a camera.

Batteries, bag, tripod etc. Far more expensive than Z1/PD170/DVX1000. So yes, clearly a better camera than Z1 (whoever disputes this is in la la land), but budget and context of use have to be considered, as once you dive into shoulder mounted cameras you will be diving into a new price bracket of essential accesories.

The cost however of the camera is pretty phenomenal and is arguably the first nail in the coffin of DVCAM shoulder mounted models.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Very good point with regard to accessory expenses -- this is an amazingly low-priced camera, but the essentials will carry a higher cost than most folks from the "prosumer" realm might realize. For example, lens controls... your $350 LANC controller will not work with this camera. You'll need separate zoom and focus controls, starting at $400 for a zoom controller and about $500 for a focus controller, and these are lower-end prices for those items.

Old May 10th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Very true. Anyone has a confirmation on the price of the tripod plate? Someone here mentioned something like $900.00, I believe... That would be a prime example of where the accessory prices might be.
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Might even be worth figuring out exactly what people should be expected to get for their kits!

Prices courtesy of creativevideo.co.uk

IDX Endura 50 Li-Ion battery, V-Lock, 50W/h £265

Not sure if cam comes with charger. If not:

IDX Endura Battery / Charger / AC Kit for Sony & JVC Cameras c/w 2 x 50 W/h Li-Ion Batteries Price: £934.13 inc VAT

IDX X3-Lite LED Camera Light Price: £233.83 (inc VAT)

Vinten Vision 3 Tripod: £1150 (inc VAT)

Take your pick of bag, Petrol, KATA, Lowepro: At least £300

Naturally these are just quick refs and if you spend 5 mins on the net you will probably find better deals.

The key here is understanding that a 'professional' camera requires professional accessories to function to the best of its ability. Some people are buying Z1s without factoring in a good mic and tripod! So when people start buying this and forget the bigger picture they're gonna be in for a scare. One of my friends bought a DSR570 for a documentary. Sure enough he's making a great film (really great) but he couldn't believe how much things cost once you move up from something like a PD150 to a proper 2/3 CCD camera.

And once you have all this stuff think about insuring it!
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #9
Major Player

Surely you can use standard JVC batteries, as with HD1/HD10U cameras? At least that's what it looks like from the dozens of photos JVC has on their website.

They also posted new pictures with an operator handling the camera. There's a couple with a tripod that looks professional, probably quite expensive. But most likely you will be able to get away with a $150 tripod? The camera doesn't look that much bigger than the XL2.
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

But Dave, why would you put a $150 tripod under a $6000 camera?

Sturdy sticks and a good, high-quality tripod head are key essential components for your camera package. For something like the HD100, I'd recommend a $500 to $1500 tripod head and legs combination underneath it.

Old May 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #11
Major Player

I'd love to know how it is expected to perform in low light (in interlaced mode). Looking forward to a review.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Chris, I'd definitely get the best tripod possible for a camera like this. However, you could (maybe) get away with a cheaper tripod if you can't afford all the best accessories for your new cam.

For instance, I have a GL2 and two cheap tripods - one $10 (quite bad), the other $30. I made several tests with the GL2 on the $30 tripod and felt really safe about it. Of course I would prefer to buy a $150 tripod instead for it, but there's always something else I end up buying. Lights, filters, lenses, etc. If for one second I thought the GL2 (or the HD1 for that matter) was unstable on this tripod, I wouldn't use it. Just not worth the risk.

My point being that, with thoughtful tests you might find a cheaper tripod that withstands the camera weight very well - and that could turn out to be less an obstacle in your way.

Of course if you can afford the $1,000 one, go for it, by all means! I would... :)
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #13
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
I'd love to know how it is expected to perform in low light (in interlaced mode).
Not sure what you mean -- there is no interlaced mode on this camera...

I don't believe any low-light specs have been mentioned yet...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #14
Major Player

$6,000 CAMERA - $1,500 TRIPOD
$800 CAMERA - $50 TRIPOD
Oh, did somebody mention that a tripod plate is expected to cost about $800-900? Do you use lights? How about a decent mike?
:-)
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #15
Regular Crew

thanks for the video

Looks bigger than I originally thought, but still smaller than my DV500. I think my Bogen 501/3221 tripod ($300) should be a good match for now.

Speaking of hidden costs:
When the DV500 came out, most users agreed that the included lens was not up to par. I'd see them on eBay selling for $99 or less. Any indication from anyone at NAB that we might want to bypass the stock lens on the HD100? I realize the obvious answer is that the wide-angle would be better, but I'm curious if anybody saw good footage that was produced with the stock lens.

Steve
Steve Roark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems