Is 720p Real High Definition ? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Closed Thread

Old May 13th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
I would still like to have an affordable 1080p
DV tape and bitrate is not the way to go for 1080p60, Sony should develop a DV-sized HDCAM SR high density tape (the consumer name and price could be disputable) and use MPEG-4 Part 10 at low compression and at either 75Mbps (60mins) or 50Mbps (90mins) (all are wild estimates). By then, Sony would be rolling out with great progressive HDV"PRO" cameras for an affordable price.

P.S: (This is an experts only question) To GOP or not to GOP? That is the big question for low compression MPEG-4 Part 10.
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #47
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Krystof
What isn't clear to me is if the 4 channels are recorded simultaneously or is 2 channel audio user selectable between PCM or MPEG-1 Layer 2?
It was my understanding that the HD100 uses only MPEG-1 Layer II compressed audio. The PCM/uncompressed audio option was being reserved for a future extension, ProHD-EX, which would be employed on the $27,000 2/3" camera due next year.
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #48
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
That's one of the big concerns I have about the HD100 -- no provision for recording 60p means that there will be several circumstances where it just won't be a viable option.
Do you understood that the HD100 is a 720p60 camera --it captures at 60fps and it outputs vis i.LINK and analog at 720p60.

Using the judder removal filter it can carry the 60fps as 30p on tape.
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #49
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
It was my understanding that the HD100 uses only MPEG-1 Layer II compressed audio. The PCM/uncompressed audio option was being reserved for a future extension, ProHD-EX, which would be employed on the $27,000 2/3" camera due next year.
That's the public line being pushed now. According to JVC Japan, a copy of both input channels are recorded as PCM into the DV track segment reserved for DV PCM audio -- which to this point has been left empty by JVC. JVC may decide not to reveal this capability until the NLE's can handle this system.

Unfortunately, in order to get 25Mbps recording -- Sony had to deviate from the DV track structure and eliminate the PCM audio area. So no PCM can be added by Sony. Would that help you understand why Sony folks are so insistent that MPEG-1 audio is just fine. They have left themselves no option.

Of course, you'll get PCM audio on their HD XDCAM for $20-$30K. And suddenly you'll hear these same Sony folks claiming MPEG-1 is for consumers and if you are a pro -- you really must buy an HD XDCAM. And, of course, they will suddenly support 24p claiming there was no need for it on a consumer "designed and built" camcorder like the FX1/Z1.

We all know how this game is played. Sony will change it's marketing story only when it can announce something as good as the HD100. Until then, like Panasonic, they'll use the internet to spread positives about what they have and imply you don't really need anything more.

They'll also make interesting announcents about cool future camcorders to keep your attention away from JVC. Panasonic's doing it now by suddenly talking-up recording to hard disks. Sony will take it's own path to grab attention away from the HD100.
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

Okay fellows... time to relax and take a break from this nonsense... it's pretty much through at this point.

Thread closed for now.

Later today I'm going to prune away all of the personal junk, pare it down to just the strictly technical discussion and then *maybe* re-open it. Kind of a dumb topic anyway, *of course* 720p is "real" high definition, according to the ATSC.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems