60i to PAL questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM   #1
New Boot

60i to PAL questions

Hello guys, don't know if anybody will reply to this in time for my shoot tonight but I'll try. I've searched the forums to try and find some info on converting 60i footage to PAL, and had some additional questions... using GY100U, Vegas 9

My desired output footage is Mpeg2, PAL, Upper Field First

I've tried a few variations of shooting format/project settings and it appears that shooting in HDV-25P then rendering my final as MPEG2, PAL, Upper looks best, HOWEVER, my camera has been prone to dropouts while shooting in HDV modes so I am weary of trying it (and the footage is broadcast in standard anyway)

Back to my main question, would I get an acceptable, non-ghosted image if I did the following...

Shoot in 60i, capture into vegas with a PAL-Widescreen-Upper First project settings, render as a PAL-Wide-Upper Mpeg2
Matthew Loucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Loucks View Post
Shoot in 60i, capture into vegas with a PAL-Widescreen-Upper First project settings, render as a PAL-Wide-Upper Mpeg2
I'm a 200u owner so if I give any false info, forgive me.

In this case, I'd probably shoot in 50i in camera. Time AND image size remapping from NTSC to PAL is more complicated than going PAL to NTSC.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you for the quick reply... The problem is the 100U only shoots SD-60i, there is no option for 50i

Also, since I'm here, is there any way of checking if I have the upgade (100UA)? I purchased my camera before the upgrade and did not get it updated. I recently brought it in to JVC here in Toronto (closer to Markham to be exact) but I don't think they did any updates like that (and I actually have many complaints about the service I recieved there, but that's a whole different story).
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Ah, thought that might be an issue. We 200 owners can set whether we want to shoot in 50 or 60...

No idea on how to check the Firmware version.

Welcome to DVI. Wish I could have helped further.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM   #5
New Boot

Lucky!!! When I first purchased the camera (Jan 07) I was under the impression that it shot PAL without a hitch, oh how wrong I was!

Thank you for the welcome, I've actually been a creeper on here for a couple years now, but I haven't been around much recently. Took such a long hiatus that I forgot my user/pass and needed a new one!
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Matthew,

Noticed that you said that you don't like shooting HD because of drop outs. You obviously don't get the drop outs in SD. This is very similar problem to mine which I have traced to a problem in a defective chip in the main board.
I am currently putting a case to JVC (Australia) for compensation as I believe that this is a generic fault and that there are many people who have been affected. Any further detail would be appreciated.

regards
Ian Skurrie

Last edited by Ian Skurrie; October 4th, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
Ian Skurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey, if you have the upgrade your camera will have a black circle sticker with an "a" on it , located next to the serial # ( underside of camera behind tripod screw hole). I don't see why your camera can't shoot PAL, the hd100's can shoot pal. Go to your camera menu, select "Video Format", then select "Frame rate". You should see a choice for 50/25.
Paul Pelalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #8
New Boot

Ian - I totally agree that JVC should compensate in some way for this fault. I have had only a few minor problems when shooting in DV mode, but in HDV60, I have had so many drop outs over the years that I hardly, if ever, use it. I have read that the 100U-A update fixes that problem, but since JVC did NOT install the update on my camera when I recently brought it in for maintanence, I can't say for certain.

Paul - Yes, it is true that I can switch the frame rate to 50/25, both modes are HDV instead of DV and the footage is too valuable to risk drop outs. The 100U DOES NOT shoot standard def PAL.
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #9
Wrangler

Correct. The HD100U shoots NTSC in DV mode (24p and 60i) and the HD100/101E shoots PAL (25p or 50i) in DV mode. The HDV modes are identical among U and E models (both can clock at 50 or 60Hz.)
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #10
New Boot

Thank you for the clarification Tim. Do you know if the 100U-A update fixes (or atleast helps) with the problem of dropped frames/cut up clips while shooting in HDV mode?
Matthew Loucks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems