MTNIK13B Nikon lens adapter work with Nikon DX lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MTNIK13B Nikon lens adapter work with Nikon DX lenses?

I own a Nikon D40 and thus have a couple of decent quality lenses that I'd love to be able to use with my HD110U. Does anyone know if this adapter is compatible with the Nikon DX series of lenses and those compatible with the D40?
Evan Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm afraid not

- the problem with the D40's DX lenses is that the iris is controlled electronically by the camera. There is no iris ring on the lens, so if you got an adapter to mount the lens, youd have no iris control.
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:43 AM   #3
Sponsor: MTF Services

Hi Evan.

I have 2 adaptors for Nikon to 1/3"

The regular Nikon to 1/3" adaptor
Nikon to 1/3" Bayonet Adaptor
Which will work with all Nikon lenses, but there is no aperture control when using the DX lens.

I also have the Nikon G to 1/3" adaptor.
Nikon G to 1/3" Bayonet Adaptor

This has a mechanism which will allow you to visually control aperture on lenses that have no aperture ring.

It is compatible with ALL Nikon lenses, old or new, with or without aperture rings.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Wrangler

I've been testing Mike's Nikon G Adapter and it works perfectly with my G DX lenses. You won't know exactly what stop you are on but you will have full manual control over the aperture.
I highly recommend but be aware that most of the cheap G DX zooms cannot maintain perfect backfocus throughout their zoom range, requiring manual focus adjustment after each zoom adjustment. This is due to the design of the lenses for still photography only.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:35 PM   #5

Hi Tim.

How is the new DVD coming along?
Glad you found the adaptors useful.

Cheers
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Tim, thanks a million! And thanks for your Pro HD volume 1 DVD as well, it has made using this camera so much easier! I would love to get the Nikon G to 1/3" adapter but the site you linked seems to be out of stock. Is this adapter available from anywhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tapa View Post
Hi Evan.

I have 2 adaptors for Nikon to 1/3"

Which will work with all Nikon lenses, but there is no aperture control when using the DX lens.

This has a mechanism which will allow you to visually control aperture on lenses that have no aperture ring.

It is compatible with ALL Nikon lenses, old or new, with or without aperture rings.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Evan Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Major Player

I've got the newer MTF adapter for the G lenses (DX). Tim is 100% right as usal. Works just fine, though you have to remember to screw the set screw in so the aperture doesn't change on the DX styled lens. (rookie mistake for the first 10 minutes) But you can guess by the leverl where the middle and slightly more open than middle is.. so it's no big deal not knowing exactly what f-stop your at.

The stock lens for the D40 is at best ..... ok. Get the better adapter for the BETTER DX lenses that are in teh $400-$1,000 range, or some of the later used AF lenses. I have mostly manual focus lenses and i prefer them. I spent more money on the "G" adapter because you never know what used newer lens you might stumble across on ebay or craigslist.. though the screaming deals are not surprisingly on the manual focus lenes, particulary the non zoom fixed focal lengths. Now I haven't looked at the Tokin and Tamaron lenses, and in fact even Sigma is considered good these days.

I can vouch that the $200 and below Nikkor DX lenses are not worth the shipping let alone the price of the lens. So get the newer MTF adapter, but don't bet too heavily on the stock D40 lens or the similarly priced DX lenses. But there are tons of other lenses out there, and of course the more expensive Nikors are actually good like usual. Nikon is slapping Nikkor labels on lenses that should never have carried the Nikon name, let alone Nikkor. Sorry for the rant... still super disapointed with a couple of my DX lenses. I can't even sell them to anyone if I look at them because I would have to look at them in the eye...
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tapa View Post

Are these, or anything like them, sold through an American distributor?
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #9

Hi John.

You should find these at Abel Cine Tech and at ZGC.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems