Need advice - JVC GY-HD250 vs Sony EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 7th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need advice - JVC GY-HD250 vs Sony EX3

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to shoot a digital feature next summer and I have access to a Sony EX3 and JVC-HD250.

Capture will be using the HD-SDI output into either a AJA KiPro or Convergent Design's Nanoflash.

Both the JVC and the Sony appears to have the same specs, but EX3 is CMOS and JVC is CCD.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

my one and only thought on these 2 fine machines is that the 250 is 1/3rd" chips and the EX3 is 1/2"-big difference although the JVC would certainly hold up.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

And the EX3 can shoot 1080P, whereas the HD-250 shoots 720P.
If you're doing a whole lot of handheld, think about the difference between the JVC's real shoulder mount vs the Sony's "semi" shoulder mount.
Ed
Ed Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Major Player

My experience with the 250, it's kinda noisy. that 1/3 inch chip is gonna be trouble too if your lookin' for some film like shallow depth of field. The EX3 would probably be a better choice with the usual ergonomic and cmos caveats that apply.

If it was me - I would take a real hard look at the Canon 7D.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Major Player

I would not at all look at any DSLR for a feature film. It is not built for that at all, and I just finished writing a whole article about why they are not.

There are many factors you need to way in between these 2 cameras...

Are you doing lots of hand held work? JVC is better on the shoulder, better for motion because its a CCD imager and not CMOS. Its also much more comfortable.

Do you need more resolution? if so the Sony is native 1080, as for the JVC is 720.

Are you going to use a 35mm adapter? Both cameras have the option to remove lens and add on adapters if needed.

I say the biggest question you will have will be the amount of moment of the camera due to using a CMOS chip you will have skew issues if there's lots of camera shake for action type films or dramatic settings.

Second biggest will be dynamic range. I do not know how well the sony holds up as for I have stayed clear of CMOS cameras, but I have a feeling its a little better than the JVC. You should check specs

The difference between 1/3'' imagers and 1/2'' imagers is hardly noticeable with dof, this should not be a factor at all.

something easily over looked would be battery life. Check out what options both have for long running battery situations. Or if you're going to be in a studio environment you want to be plugged in most of the time and not run off a battery.

It depends on so many different things really, its hard to give advice when you dont know the story, or the look or the color pallet of the film. JVC and Sony have very different looks to their cameras. They handle color very different. I would have to say that after looking at lots of sony footage from that camera vs. the jvc. I feel the JVC is closer to what 16mm film would look like. Sony looks a little more on the video side of things. What I mean to say is, I think there is a special filmic quality to the JVC and I think that has to do with the lens. I think the lens is way better than the one on the Sony.

The Sony might be way better because of shooting 1080p will greatly help you with projecting, if you are going to project HD at any point in time. If this is strictly for DVD showings. or DVD projections at small festivals, then resolution will really not have a say in this situation because both will be downresed to an SD DVD.

You really should look at raw HD footage from both cameras and evaluate them thoroughly. Your first questions should be, does this camera do what I need it to do for what the script asks. Then move from there.
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems