24p and the HD SDI output - question for uber-spec-geeks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 24th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24p and the HD SDI output - question for uber-spec-geeks

Happy Christmas, everybody. I'm sitting here in the edit bay at my day job with little to do other than contemplate the tech specs of the HD SDI output of my HD250.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the output specs - 720p60 or interpolated 1080i. So my question is, does the frame rate setting you choose (24p, 30p, 60p...) in camera affect the HD SDI output in any way or does it just affect how the camera records to HDV?

In other words, if I've set up the camera to record at 720p24 does the HD SDI output the 24p with duplicate frames to achieve the 60p? If that's the case, are those duplicate frames flagged in anyway? And what cadence does it use to achieve 720p60 from 24p?

Have fun and best wishes.

Chad
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #2
JVC America

Happy Holidays, Chad.

I hope I understand your questions correctly:

- The frame rate you set in the menu correlates to the output from the HD-SDI. The signal is uncompressed, includes time code and embedded audio.

- When the camera is set to 720p, Varicam flags will also be sent out on the HD-SDI stream, which will enable the NLE to pull in the appropriate frames. This is a unique feature to the JVC ProHD camcorders from the 200 series on.

Hope this information helps. Have a great holiday season!

Craig
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks, Craig and Happy Holidays!
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems