HD200UB Field Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #1
New Boot

HD200UB Field Monitor

I have attached a jvc DT-V9L1DU field monitor to my JVC HD200UB.
I used the component BNC cables to go from camera to monitor
I have component switch selected on the monitor.
I have a couple of issues.

1) I am not able to see the safety lines or the focus assist info in the field monitor.
These work fine on the 3" LCD camera monitor but the safety lines don't show and there is no color showing for the focus assist. I am able to see other items including menu options, audio levels, and others.

2) When i enter Skin Detail Adjust the image rotates.. is this normal? nothing in the manual says it should rotate. I do have the image rotated since i am using a Mini35 C adapter. However, whether or not i select rotate, the image flips.. both in the LCD monitor and the field monitor.

I am wondering if this is a firmware issue or ???
Any help is greatly appreciated.
James Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #2
Major Player

The component output does not show this. There is no issue in your camera.
You have either the Live output with our without menu settings on top (settings are made in the Menu)
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Marc,
Thanks for responding

It seems odd that the component out to the field monitor shows other settings but not the Focus Assist or the grid lines.

I am working with JVC now on the issue. They definitely said there is an issue with the Skin Detail Adjust flipping the image.. i have been combing through the manual trying to locate where i thought i saw a setting that allowed all functions to go through the component out but i can't locate it. Since most options are visible i assumed the default was to send the info out to the component video.

I will update this post when i hear back from JVC, they asked for a listing of all my software versions.
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Patrick View Post
1) I am not able to see the safety lines or the focus assist info in the field monitor.
These work fine on the 3" LCD camera monitor but the safety lines don't show and there is no color showing for the focus assist. I am able to see other items including menu options, audio levels, and others.
As Marc comments, these would come from the Viewfinder out, not the Video outputs.
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Shaun is there a way to hook up the viewfinder out to the field monitor?
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Major Player

Short answer: Nope...
Old June 25th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #7
New Boot

update

Just wanted to update peeps on the status of this issue.

1) There is no way to get the viewfinder output into a field monitor (as noted by others)

2) The image flip issue is known to JVC and they have no intention of supplying a fix for it.

I am very disappointed in JVC at this point and really consider it a bug.

Their response to me was people who are using DOF and primes do not use the skin detail option.. is that true?

Does anyone else here use the skin detail function with a DOF converter?

Last edited by James Patrick; June 25th, 2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Major Player

The VF-HP840U 8.4-inch monitor plugs into the VF socket (in lieu of the vf) and has the features you are looking for. But it costs a bundle and has soso resolution.

Trick would be to identify the pins on the camera vf socket and build a spec cable for the video to your monitor, no ? It has to be component of some sort , no ? I've often wanted this because focus assist is a really useful thing also with 16 and 35mm lenses, i have a vague memory that we tested it and it works, but ultimately relied on the focus puller.

JVC should publish the pin diagram for the VF socket !
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi
Just had a chance to look at JVC service manual for the HD200/250. Here are few points I am able to confirm:

1. There is one OSD mixer available for program output (not sure what information is overlaid there)
2. Second OSD, Safety, Skin, White, Zebra, Focus Assist and Peaking are available at VF/LCD output only.
3. The View Finder signal is an analog signal with sync on G/Y pin depending on the output mode. If you play with VF/LCD menu, there are: RGB, Composite, Component and Y-only output modes.

I was not able to find the pinout for the connector.
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #10
New Boot

Using a quality 2" Pro VF on the HD200ub

The VF socket is the same as the VF sockets on Pro Panasonic cameras that use 2" VFs.
I think the 2" Vfs are made by Sony.

But the wiring is not the same.

I wish JVC would sell an adapter that would allow the use of 2" Pro VFs on the HD200UB

Thanks,
Patrick
Patrick Forestell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi everyone,
I think it’s time to revive this thread a bit…

==================== WARNING ====================
Do Not Attach Anything Directly To The Viewfinder Output.
Any Modifications You Do Will Void Your Warranty.
I Take No Responsibility For Your Actions As A Result Of This Post.
This Is For Information Purpose Only.
==================================================

Finally, after months of waiting I have received all the parts I needed for my prototype to take my HD200U's viewfinder output and display it on an external monitor.
This is not going to be a cheap little box with some cables. As it is now, it already cost me over $200. But here it is:

HD200UB Field Monitor-img_3844a.jpg HD200UB Field Monitor-img_3818a.jpg

The main objective of this circuit board is to isolate the camera from any external monitors I may want to attach to it, so any problems on the monitor side will not affect the camera. A special HD quality triple buffer amp is used in the circuit to do the job. The board is connected to the camera with an original JVC viewfinder cable (expensive).

HD200UB Field Monitor-img_3828a.jpg

As I switch the viewfinder output to different output modes (VF menu), I noticed that the ‘safety zone’ is only available in the RGB mode. In composite mode I got a good color on my analog monitor but no ‘safety zone’. Unfortunately at this moment I don’t have a monitor capable of displaying HD component, so I can’t confirm 100%, but component in SD mode didn’t have the ‘safety zone’ even though it was turned on. The following two pictures are screen shots of my analog monitor with the viewfinder output with the camera set to HDV 1080i60. The picture is monochromatic because I only use one channel from RGB signal as my monitor does not accept RGB. And yes, the RGB viewfinder output is SD.

HD200UB Field Monitor-img_3841a.jpg HD200UB Field Monitor-img_3837a.jpg
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #12
Major Player

awesome, rob !
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems