GY-HD Series on a film set at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GY-HD Series on a film set

As promised in Chad's thread about the GY-HD Series (but rather than hijack it), to show that the GY-HD Series is still alive and was used extensively on a recent award winning feature film, check out this episode which includes many shots of the 200 series camera in action and interviews with the operator and DP discussing the pros and cons of using a 35mm adapter....

YouTube - How to Make a Next-to-Nothing Budget Feature Film -Episode 04 [HD]

Most of the technical details are covered but anything else let me know and I will answer to the best of my ability. But overall, the workflow was nothing short of brilliant and a very enjoyable experience. I have a corporate shoot coming up in which we will also be using 35mm lenses and I can't wait!...

Last edited by Dan Parkes; April 2nd, 2010 at 05:09 AM. Reason: proof reading
Dan Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Good stuff, Dan. It's comforting to see a group of like-minded creatives from across the pond doing the same things in similar ways.

We make genre films, suspense/Horror with heavy influences from classic Japanese and Italian genre pictures. Although the subject matter of our pictures may differ from yours, the goal is the same, to make a high quality movie on a next-to-nothing budget.

Looks like you took the time to use your adapter in the way it was intended. I think the reason many people decide to use it sparingly is because it does add time to shot setup. Obviously, if you take the appropriate time your images can be truly brilliant. Nice work.

Well done and good luck with distribution. I hope to be able to see the movie here in the states some time soon.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Chad!

Regarding the point you make that some use the adapter sparingly due to shot setup, that is a valid point, although I found that it was primarily down to initial set-up and the fact that ideally you need a focus puller. Otherwise, the actual shot setup is remarkably fast due to the fact that we were using a HD monitor -an absolute must I think.

I would sometimes be directing a shot and comment to the camera team I don't think we have enough time to change lenses, and before we had a chance to reset the lens was already on and focused. In fact on one occasion when we were fast running out of time and the shot involved an actor being drunk (ie all over the place -we couldn't have precise focus marks) and although on a long lens (135mm) I asked the focus puller if we could just run with it if he used the HD monitor for reference.... which is what happened, and the shot was great. So once set up with a good team and a good HD monitor I found the actual shot setup times to be not too different than when using the stock lens...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems