canon EF lenses on HDxx series at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 17th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

canon EF lenses on HDxx series

I currently have a lens adaptor from mtf services for using nikkor manual focus lenses on my HD100 and it works great (shooting wildlife), but does anyone know if someone makes an adapter for using canon EF lenses with the HDxx camera series..I dont see one on mtf's website. thanks, John
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...n-adapter.html

Half way down, Zach mentions that there is supposedly an issue due to back focus issues... therefore not possible without additional lens elements.
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't think it's to do with the back focus distance, it's the aperture mechanism that's the problem. Generally the smaller the chip size the more flange focus distance you have to work with (ie 2/3" is 48mm, 1/2" is 38mm, don't know what 1/3" it's probably also around 38m I guess). This is plenty of room for an adapter.
It's only recently that we've seen an adapter to allow the Nikon G lenses (without aperture rings) to be used, and I can only assume that the Canon EF mount has a more troublesome mechanism.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Canon EF lenses don't have a regular iris control on the lens, ie you can't set them manually. Its controlled electronically from the camera.

I think I read somewhere this means the only way to adjust iris is take the lens off the camera you're using put it on a Canon DSLR change the iris setting then remount it to your camera. A bit impractical really.
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Or make an adapter which can control it electronically - equally impractical due to cost.
Just checked one of my Nikons there is a lever at the back which allows a mechanical adjustment of the aperture. The Canons must be completely electronic.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well I was afraid of that, its just I have so many nice EF lenses it would be great to use them on the HD100, so guess I stick with using my old nikkors on the camera, which actually works quite well..
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, the EF and EF-S series Canons are completely electronic. The lens has no way to adjust the iris manually.

You might want to look into what is possible with new HD compatible DSLR cameras if you want to use those lenses. You can also buy adaptors to use your manual Nikon lenses on the Canon cameras.
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems