Any tips.....? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #16
Regular Crew

"The split-screen "issue" with the 110 was overly blown up"
Unless of course it happened to you. For me it occurred suddenly and was very severe even at 0db.
It's worth checking for when buying a used camera. Mine was resolved quickly as a warranty claim.

I also had serious problems with Sony high grade tape stock (supplied by client). I now use exclusively JVC ProHD stock without problems. I think it doesn't matter what type you use so long as you stick with the same type.
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Some of the compatible Firestores require that both camera and Firestore are turned ON at time of connection.

The best solution is to spend $5 and get a cable that de energizes the Firewire.
Great tip - one that one friend of mine wished she had known about.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Balsdon View Post
"The split-screen "issue" with the 110 was overly blown up"
Unless of course it happened to you. For me it occurred suddenly and was very severe even at 0db.
It's worth checking for when buying a used camera. Mine was resolved quickly as a warranty claim.

I also had serious problems with Sony high grade tape stock (supplied by client). I now use exclusively JVC ProHD stock without problems. I think it doesn't matter what type you use so long as you stick with the same type.
Oh it happens on the 100, and it's not predictable. Your learn to recognize it, turn off the camera and battery and try it again. Think of it like changing a film magazine....
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:24 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I used to get the split screen very slightly on the 101E but since using Paolo's Truecolor settings I have never seen it.

I agree about the safety of using tape and HDD but I can honestly say that I have never lost anything using just tape. There will always come that day though ... and for peace of mind and critical shoots it's a sensible workflow.

The new Firestore with the CF card modernises the HD100 system and gives it another lease of life too.
John Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:52 PM   #20
Major Player

Yea, the split screen.

Had to send my 100 in for service because it was getting pretty bad at 0 gain. They fixed it under warranty but it was a bummer.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Beating a dead horse. yes split screen is fairly over hyped. That being said I can usually make it appear. Most often when the camera is cold and applying gain. If your going to be taping in dark environment, power on 10 minutes before you start recording to allow the chips to synch with each other, usually never apply more than 9db of gain (usually zero honestly).

also, something to do before every paid shoot. check backfocus with a HD monitor or HDTV. check your settings, then finally when it's warmed up, I run my dead pixel masking. More effective when warmed up, especially on hot days.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems