GY-HD100 recognized in Win 7 64-bit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GY-HD100 recognized in Win 7 64-bit?

For the sake of Adobe CS5 I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Today I tried to install my GY-HD100U via a IEEE 1394 firewire port to do some transfers from tape, but the OS auto identified it as a 61883 Class Bus Device (whatever that is), and nothing recognizes the camera or VTR. It doesn't show up in Device Manager, and Premiere Pro and Cineform Neo 4K (HDLink) say that no capture device is connected. In the Devices and Printers screen it comes up as "Unspecified."

Is there something special I have to do to get this thing properly recognized in Win 7 64-bit?

Where do I go from here?
Stephen Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Trustee

I'm sure you probably have most of this figured out, but:

The device manager is not of much help. Have you tried starting Premiere after connecting the camera and switching it on? The fact that windows is 64-bit has nothing to do with detecting a camera via firewire.

In the CS5 manual (help section) there are a series of checks to be performed when the camera isn't detected. Have you gone through them?

If yes, and the issue persists, you need to contact Adobe support (assuming your firewire link is working on other systems and it's not a JVC problem). Also try it on another system if possible to make sure.
Old October 29th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tips, Sareesh. As it turns out this is not an Adobe problem, nor a Windows problem per se, but has to do with the way the firewire signal is interpreted by Windows.

I was able to get it working, but there is a trick to it.

On startup this cam defaults to the camera mode, and must be switched to VCR mode after it has already been powered up. To get Windows to recognize it as a playback device, I had to shut down the computer then start up the JVC and put it in playback mode. That was the trick. Then, with the firewire plugged into the cam and computer, start the comp and let Windows boot up normally. When I did this it went through the "new hardware" installation for a video playback device and installed it. Once it was recognized by the OS I was able to start Premiere and get device control in the capture window. It's working like a charm.

Thanks to all who noted this, and I hope my experience will be of use to someone else.
Stephen Knapp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems