HD250 w/Ki Pro mini or another camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD250 w/Ki Pro mini or another camera?

Hi all. I'm looking for some input on a camera decision. I have two JVC GY-HD250U cameras with minimal hours on them. I love the cameras but I hate working with HDV tape these days. I've got a Canon 5D Mark II and a 7D and have been using those most of the time over the past few months. I'm afraid if I try to sell the JVC's I won't get much for them (one has a $10k lens on it) but I'll have to spend another $4k to get two AJA Ki Pro mini's to take advantage of the HD SDI out of the JVC's and to record to Apple Pro Res (by passing the HDV tape workflow). The JVC's are in like new condition with Anton Bauer mounts, batteries, etc. and would be perfect for a church or other organization doing live video (with the HD SDI outputs).

So do I keep them and buy the Ki Pro mini's or bite the bullet, try to sell them and get a replacement camera to work with the Canon workflow? Any opinions? Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

IMO it depends. How's that for an answer ;-)

First what do you think you'd be able to get for the 250s? Then what do you think you'd want to buy? How many of them? What's the outright cost of those cameras? Now subtract what you think you could get for the 250s and then you'd have a better idea of what to do. Figure that cost vs. the cost of the AJA Ki Pro minis. Now you should have a better idea of what you should do, unless of course you've just got a case of the "hots" for something new then the math doesn't matter but to me that doesn't sound like the case. Maybe I'm wrong.
O|O
\--/
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Randy, I'm also pondering selling my HD100 so I feel your pain. I also went the DSLR route and I have to say it's easily been the best camera decision I ever made.

My sense is I missed the boat and the GY HDxxx series is going to be a bit of a tough sell. I know some guys who are getting $2500 bucks for their HVX200s but I'm wondering if anyone is doing as well with the JVCs. Don makes a good point but I'll add that the 250's will never be worth more than they are right now.

The church angle sounds like a good one.

I've also got to ask. How do you feel about the 10k lens purchase?
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Sell your lens

separately, its like when you buy a 4wd, you can either buy one which someone spent $20k doing up, and spend only $1k to $2k more than someone who didn't do anything. If you still got you stock lenses put them back on, then sell the camera's for the market rate and reduce your loss.
I have a HD251, and even though I'd love a PDW800, I'm still making money, and even though Im yet to physically see any advantages recording HDSDI out with this camera, I know it's still probably the best solution $ efficiency wise and will give me a bit more life with the camera.
Do you know what ball park figure you want for the camera's, I see they still sell for around $14k with stock lens
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input guys. I would take $15k for both packages. One has the broadcast lens the other the stock lens. I think I'll try selling first and if they don't move in a reasonable amount of time I may look at the Ki Pro mini. The broadcast lens was a great purchase for the time that I used the cameras. :) Both have been meticulously maintained and have low hours so maybe I can find a home for them.
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'd keep the JVC. They're not worth much yet still produce a classy image and bring a pro vibe to a set that you don't get with DSLR ( I own a 7d). Okay, a DSLR can look pro after $12,000 worth of Zacuto peripherals. I appreciate the JVC's cleam image after using the moirey 7d.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems