Recording to SDHC? (no Firewire on laptop v_v) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 6th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #1
Tourist

Recording to SDHC? (no Firewire on laptop v_v)

So anyway, I got this laptop and didn't even think about checking if it had Firewire 400. As it turns out, it doesn't. So I've been spending time trying to figure out how to get footage from my GY-HD111e onto my PC (which by the way, doesn't have an Express Card slot either - but it does have USB 3.0)
My first try was to see if I could get the Intensity Shuttle to capture the analogue outs on my camera, but it doesnt support 720/23.976p or 576/50p or any of the ones I actually need - which is fantastic.
Failing that I was hoping that someone made a Firewire 400 to USB 3.0 converter (and yes I know just a cable/passive adapter wouldn't do anything, but surely someone could make a dongle or active adapter type thingy - USB 3.0 is definitely fast enough)... but I couldn't find anyhting of the like.

So... I was hoping that maaaaybe someone makes something like the Firestore but instead of it recording to an internal HDD, it could record to SDHC cards. Because then I can just pop that in to my laptop.
Does anything like this exist? Or is there something like a Firestore that also has USB to connect the drive to the computer?
I'd really prefer not to sell my camera, I really love my 111e.

Thanks in advanced guys :)
Nick
Nick Darveniza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Major Player

There is a back that fits in a similar way to a Firestore and allows simultaneous recording to SxS media.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The SXS adapter will not work on the 111 afaik. There are firestore / citidisk / Datavideo drives that use CF cards. That's probably gonna be the best bet, then all you need is a standard USB card reader.

Last edited by Casey Krugman; January 13th, 2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Made it clearer
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hope the flooding has passed you by :)
Amazing footage from Toowoomba. Scary stuff. All the best :)
Rob Stowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #5
Tourist

Ooo, CF. Yes that'd be great - I'll look into that, thanks very much.

And Rob, yeah we were alright luckily. Most of the footage from the day you saw (well, the non-mobile phone stuff) was probably shot by me on my 111e :)
Actually it's kinda related because I had to drag my old computer (with Firewire) out and set it up in order to capture the footage so I could upload it in time for the 7pm news ^_^ Sure woulda been easier if my laptop had fricken Firewire, lolol
Nick Darveniza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Looking at B&H, there are a lot more CF card recoding options than I'd realised. I'm interested now :)
Solid State/HDD Recorders
All the cheaper ones have firewire... BUT they only capture as dv/hdv. Maybe not a problem, since that's all yr firewire puts out- but if you did want to record component out at 422 and a higher bitrate, you'd need something at the higher end (about US$2k) and for all the one's I've seen, also a component to sdi or hdmi adapter.
I have a firestore I just don't use- I find it bulky, and don't like it on the camera when I'm running around shooting from the shoulder. A small cf card reader could be a better option- and certainly they're getting cheaper.
Rob Stowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Darveniza View Post
Ooo, CF. Yes that'd be great - I'll look into that, thanks very much.

And Rob, yeah we were alright luckily. Most of the footage from the day you saw (well, the non-mobile phone stuff) was probably shot by me on my 111e :)
Actually it's kinda related because I had to drag my old computer (with Firewire) out and set it up in order to capture the footage so I could upload it in time for the 7pm news ^_^ Sure woulda been easier if my laptop had fricken Firewire, lolol
How did you send it to the news room? I've been asked by both 7 & 10 to do some ENG type stuff, but had to reject as I had no way to get footage to them within a few hours, living 600km from Perth.

Did you shoot in HD?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stowell View Post
Looking at B&H, there are a lot more CF card recoding options than I'd realised. I'm interested now :)
Solid State/HDD Recorders
All the cheaper ones have firewire... BUT they only capture as dv/hdv. Maybe not a problem, since that's all yr firewire puts out- but if you did want to record component out at 422 and a higher bitrate, you'd need something at the higher end (about US$2k) and for all the one's I've seen, also a component to sdi or hdmi adapter.
I have a firestore I just don't use- I find it bulky, and don't like it on the camera when I'm running around shooting from the shoulder. A small cf card reader could be a better option- and certainly they're getting cheaper.
Wow, they are cheap!!
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mullenberg View Post
How did you send it to the news room? I've been asked by both 7 & 10 to do some ENG type stuff, but had to reject as I had no way to get footage to them within a few hours, living 600km from Perth.

Did you shoot in HD?
Hey sorry for the late reply.
I uploaded it via FTP to their server, it took half an hour almost, for I think around 40mb file? I think the slowness was on their end though - I've uploaded stuff way faster.
Certainly a lot faster than posting it to them though :P
And nah, because I had to get it back so quick (like had half an hour to cut it down and send so they could get it to Sydney in time), probably should of seeing as the footage went international :P
Nick Darveniza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems