More HD101 clips now available from (H)DV Info Net at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 9th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

More HD101 clips now available from (H)DV Info Net

These are new -- thanks again to Scott Webster for submitting them.

Download the following clips to your local hard drive and rename them.

Be sure to rename the .tifx extension to .tif, the .wmvx extension to .wmv and the .m2v before viewing them.

http://www.hdvinfo.net/media/rocketn...hromaedge.tifx

and

http://www.hdvinfo.net/media/rocketn...fullvideo.wmvx
http://www.hdvinfo.net/media/rocketn...1bmxmpeg2.m2vx

This 27MB clip was shot with the JVC GY-HD101E in 720p30 with motion smooth on. Edited in FCP5, converted to .wmv with flip4mac. Once again shot in and around Auckland, New Zealand.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Thanks very much again Chris and Scott - especially for the high rez clips.

It was interesting to see the "smooth motion" effect, though I'm unclear who will find it useful.

Some experiment with shutter speeds and smooth motion might be revealing.

Overall, however, I'm wondering about the clipped highlights - I wonder if these clips are exposed in camera under 100 IRE - I would expect to see more highlight detail than these shots have revealed.

The images don't exactly make you want to run out and buy one. I frankly was (and still am) expecting more from this camera. I do have my eyes on a HVX200 pending how it actually turns out, but the removable lense options on this system are intriguing.

However, it does remind me still of HD10U footage, especially daylight scenes with a less than appealing color palette and highlight handling. I hoping this is more exposure/camera settings issue...

Scott, what do you and others who've seen the footage in person think so far?
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The clip sure seems noisy. I wonder if the camera has a negative gain setting, that might help a little. I also wonder if the extra noise was introduced, intentionally, to reduce the appearance of macroblocks.
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn Christenson
I also wonder if the extra noise was introduced, intentionally, to reduce the appearance of macroblocks.
That's a very interesting thought and little disturbing. I'm not sure it would work though as seems like you would need a lot of noise but I don't know enough of the technical side to be sure.
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Trustee

I agree with Stephen. I really wanted to like this camera but so far it isn't really turning me on. I mean it seems to be ok but that is about it, just ok. I think the HC1 actually looks much better especially when you scale footage from the HC1 down to 1280x720.

The image from the HD100 really screams electronic video. I really hope there are some settings on the camera to make it look better.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My line of logic is that the noise might be added in the same way one might add noise to a color gradient to reduce the appearance of banding when working in a lower bit rate.
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Major Player

After watching these clips, I too must admit that I'm a little disapointed (I understand that, with different settings and operation this may change the quality) however I was expecting (and hoping) alot more from this cam.

Oh well time will tell.
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Transferred another clip - this time a mov in the 720p30 codec which the footage was captured in. When a link to the material appears online please check if you have this codec on your machine. If you have final cut pro 5 then you should be all good.

cheers
- Matthew (who works with Scott)
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thx for the clips. My only hope is on 24p footage (720 24p was the only reason I ordered mine). Non of the footage so far has impressed me. I will be getting mine soon and will do some testing with the 24p settings!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Scott and Matthew for the native .m2v file.

I happen to think the footage looks pretty good. I imported it to FCP 5 and did some simple editing with it.

Matthew, I'm a bit confused though. I chose the 720P30 Easy Setup for a new project, imported the file and put it in the timeline but it needed to be rendered. Any suggestions as to what I set incorrectly?

On another note, I'm really impressed with the Mac Mini I bought a few months ago. I edit at home on it with FCP 5 and am excited to be editing HDV footage with it (your clip). Granted I can't view it on a video monitor or make an HDV DVD since I don't have DVD SP 4, but, I exported the clip as DV, encoded it with BitVice and made a DVD to watch the footage on my TV and it looks good.

At work I edit with a dual 2 gig G5 using FCP HD and an AJA IO for Beta SP so I won't be able to use your clip there but I'm excited to show my boss the clip, as we are considering getting the HD100.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #11
Regular Crew

A bit disapointing about the quality, I get mine tomorrow so well see how it preforms at 24p & 25p. But still from what I have seen I thought it could do better considering the camera is being used to shoot a movie as we speak. But they are proberly capturing the 60p frames.
Sean Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Sean, you're getting yours tomorrow? Please see my thread at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48668

Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
I happen to think the footage looks pretty good. I imported it to FCP 5 and did some simple editing with it.

Matthew, I'm a bit confused though. I chose the 720P30 Easy Setup for a new project, imported the file and put it in the timeline but it needed to be rendered. Any suggestions as to what I set incorrectly?
Hi Dave

Matthew here (hijacking scotts login again). The reason it needs to be rendered is because it is not a native HDV 720p30 file. It is mpeg2, but not HDV...slightly different. I have however uploaded a "NATIVE" 720p30 MOV file to dvinfo and will probably appear online at some stage.

It will only work if you have the codec on your system.

Matt.
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #14
Regular Crew

For sure, I may not get time untill the weekend to shoot something worth uploading.

sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sean, you're getting yours tomorrow? Please see my thread at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48668

Thanks in advance,
Sean Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:19 PM   #15
Barry Wan Kenobi

Dropouts?

Hey Scott, can you verify something on the original tapes? Are there dropouts in this footage?

There's a segment in the long .wmv at timecode 0:25:20 where the guy's just landed a jump, and he stays frozen for 12 frames... curious number, sounds like a 2-GOP dropout.

Then there's a section later 40:12, where the guy freezes in mid-jump. That freeze lasts for about 40 frames.

Are those dropouts on the tape? Or dropped frames when capturing? Or something new, some way that there are dropouts/freeze-ups when rendering out?
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems