V-Mount Plate Adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 20th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #1
Major Player

V-Mount Plate Adaptor

Hi,

Does anyone know what parts are needed to effect the V mount battery use? Here at http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/files/3/hd100all.jpg there is a photo of the HD100 with an IDX battery on it but I have never seen a specific part that has the IDX battery mount.

So what do you buy?

This is definitely a solution I would want when I get one. I have the batteries anyway from my DV500, it would help balance the camera (I believe), and now reading it is a 17W camera its going to need the extra juice (the DV500 is 20W and it chews through a BPL40). I might even be able to use it on my DV301.

Being a 7.2v camera though, I am interested in how efficient such a solution actually is from a 14v source.

Last edited by Guy Barwood; August 20th, 2005 at 04:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

IDX adapter

I actually spoke with the IDX sales rep in Cali yesterday...she told me that there will be an adapter plate for V mounts. They have developed it exclusively via JVC and it will only be available through JVC. She did not even have any price info.

She said it is not even available yet, but she expected that it would be in a few weeks as the US shipments of cameras started.
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Something I forgot...

Just FYI...dependent on prices and all.

Anton Bauer is going to have an adapter, as well and then you could get their adapter to V lock. May seem like a bunch of trouble, but if cost is less...it would work.
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Tim,

Just to know that it will be avaliable (and possibly via two methods) is exactly what I need to know for now.

Cheers

Guy
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:34 PM   #5
JVC Regional Sales Engineer

The battery adapters are developed with each company and sold as they and we wish.

IDX endura type is the A-E2HD100. It seems we sell this with one battery for $349.

Anton Bauer bracket is QR-JVC7/14HDV which they sell and JVC does not.

Both actually have a 14volt power supply built in so they make 7 volts very efficiently
kfreed@jvc.com
Ken Freed JVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:50 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Always nice to see you here, Ken. Thanks for the input,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 07:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the part number Ken. I have something to search on now when needed. Any chance you'll sell it without a battery for much less?

The process of converting one DV voltage into another DV voltage is not normally an efficient process.

DC Voltage regulators typically throws away a lot of power to drop the voltage. High efficiency DC-DC converters are still often only 80% efficient, hence my concern with dropping 14v to 7v, how effficient is the process being used?
Old August 21st, 2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Major Player

From your part number Ken I found
http://www.era.ru/catalogue/accessuares_GY-HD100.pdf

It implies 4 hours run time from a Vmount which is great news. Sounds pretty efficient for a 17W camera.

I also like the fact the D-Tap can power the hard drive recorder.

The pdf says the pack will initially sell only from JVC authorised agents only with 2x Endura 71Wh + a two position charger (I doubt that will be for $350), and later just the mount by itself. I hope the latter comes sooner rather than later, I already have multiple batteries and a charger, I really don't need more, and I suggest many others won't either. I wouldn't be too stressed about $350 and getting one extra battery though as per your package above.
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

IDX Plates- no need to wait.

I have my new camera and have made my own adapter plate which was quite simple.
I bought 2 x IDX batteries and charger and also a small v-lock plate which had a 4 pin xlr output and had 2 output voltages from the 4 pins, 14.4v and 7.2v

Next i cut a small piece of aluminium about 60 mm wide and 150 mm long, 3mm thick and bent it to the correct angle to follow the profile of the rear of the camera. There are 2 screws on the top of the camera which i took out and mounted the aluminium plate there, using the existing screws.

The adapter IDX v-lock thingy was attached to the aluminium bracket , then rewired to give me 7.2v into the camera and now has a 4 pin xlr housing attached to the aluminium bracket giving me 14.4v for my top light when i need it.

This may be a slighly bulkier option than having the yet to be released "IDX approved" one but it cost me next to nothing and works fine. (The only other option when i bought the camera was to buy 6 normal batteries. No thanks)

If someone can enlighten me on how to post photos to this forum i can put some up.
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Craig, where did you get the V-lock adaptor from? If i get the adaptor for Anton Bauer, i'm sure i can do what you did.
Chris Basmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Anywhere that sells idx stuff will have one. It is a simple plate with the wedge lock and a 4 pin xlr out on the side.
Got mine from johnbarry.com.au
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Craig,

Send your photos to me by email and I'll put 'em up in our image gallery.

Old September 1st, 2005, 12:08 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Images of Craig's improvised IDX plate are now in the HD100 image gallery.

See http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=25

Old September 1st, 2005, 05:01 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Freed JVC
IDX endura type is the A-E2HD100. It seems we sell this with one battery for $349.
Are you sure? Over here in europe, it's €285 + taxes = about €350 (which is roughly $500) for the adapterplate alone!

Is that right? or is there a cheaper way with 1 battey included?
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:00 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Werner, prices in Europe are always much higher :-( You already commented on it in another thread in this board, and I posted a reaction to it, in which I agreed.
Why do we pay so much more?
You know, last year in August, (XL2 was already announced!), one of the only shops in Belgium to sell big camcorders was selling the Canon XL1s at 4200 euros!
How much dollars is that?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems