GY-HD100E vs Panasonic AG-DVX102 (SD) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GY-HD100E vs Panasonic AG-DVX102 (SD)

Hi,
Before watching Mini35+HD100 footage posted here I always regarded Panasonic DVX+RedRockMicro the most "film like plus" footage you could get on SD.

So: How would you think both would compare in PAL SD (not HDV) mode @ 25P+16:9?

The newest AG-DVX102 gives you full PAL 16:9 at 25P, a unique mode that now finally the PAL HD100 version gives you too, both with their Cinegamma modes to choose.

Remember: Only in SD, not HDV (oranges vs. oranges...) for DVD output for example.

Thread is open...

L
Luis Reggiardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:44 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Didn't try the HD100 in SD.

If all you're concerned about is SD, the only place where the HD100 is likely to show any gain is in the full-res 16:9 chipset, which only helps you if you're shooting 16:9. It's likely that the 3x smaller pixels will lead to a noisier, lower-latitude, less-sensitive image than the DVX's larger pixels will.

But even if there was an improvement, the HD100 is still twice the cost of the DVX.

If you're staying on SD, consider the XL2 gives you the same benefit of higher-res 16:9, plus a form of interchangeable lenses, for quite a bit less.

The advantage of the HD100 is that it's HD. Using it for SD would throw away most of its advantage (and most of the reason you'd pay twice as much for it).

But, with that said, nothing can be definitively decided until a shootout takes place.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 11:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I agree.

Maybe I should add comparing the Panaosnic with the HD100 shooting in HDV and downconverting to SD.

The downconverted footage posted here I think is superior to the one from the DVX...

L
Luis Reggiardo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems