HD100 with FS-4, FS-3 or CitiDISK HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #1
Trustee

HD100 with FS-4, FS-3 or CitiDISK HDV?

I wasn't sure if I should post it here or over the DTE forums, so please feel free to move it if needed.
I couldn't find any info if the HD100 works with the FS4, FS3 and CitiDISK HDV or if you must buy the new unreleased unit JVC has up on their website. Anybody knows?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

The JVC unit is a rebadged FireStore FS-4. It's more integrated with the camera than a regular FS-4 would be; apparently the status or the time remaining or other such info will actually show up in the HD100's viewfinder if you're using the DR-HD100 drive.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Trustee

So the regular FS4 would work. Good news. They seem to be easier to find for cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
apparently the status or the time remaining or other such info will actually show up in the HD100's viewfinder if you're using the DR-HD100 drive.
But otherwise, would it still show in the FS4 LCD screen if using the regular FS4?

Any word on the CitiDISK HDV?

Thanks
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
So the regular FS4 would work. Good news. They seem to be easier to find for cheaper.
A "regular" FS-4 would work for recording DV, but not HDV. You have to upgrade it ($299 upgrade) for it to work with HDV.

Quote:
But otherwise, would it still show in the FS4 LCD screen if using the regular FS4?
On the FS-4, yes. But not in the camera's LCD... that's the whole point of the rebadged JVC version of it.

Quote:
Any word on the CitiDISK HDV?
Every word I've ever heard about any CitiDisk product has been a synonym for "unreliable". So I wouldn't be the guinea pig for any product from CitiDisk (including their OEM'd variants, the ADS Pyro DV Drive and the MCE QuickStream). Someone else will have to give a report on those products; all I've ever seen has been user complaints about them, so I have no confidence in their products.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Well, CitiDISK looks very interesting and is cheaper. It has some features with FS4 doesn't. The new CitiDISK HDV can record DV, HDV and even DVCPRO50. As you said, FS4 doesn't yet work with HDV and the JVC unit is more expensive it seems. Also, I never heard FS4 works with DVCPRO50 either. Does it? SDX900 folks can also capture straight to disk with CitiDISK HDV. I might be wrong, but I have never seen a tapeless solution for DVCPRO50 besides P2, which requires a SDX800.
Besides that, it offers features only the more expensive FS4 Pro does.

I'll try to find user feedback on it. It looks just too good for the price.

Here's the link for the new HDV unit:

http://www.shining.com/products/tota.../citidisk_hdv/
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #6

If you've ever trusted anything I've ever said before....avoid the Citidisk.
I've got several DV units if you'd like to buy them very cheap.
They have no tech support.
Their products don't work.
They don't respond to emails
They don't respond to phone calls.

Maybe the HDV component will work, I doubt it.
Nnovia or Firestore, those are your options. I've got 3 Nnovias that I bought when the Citidisks failed multiple times. Nnovia work like horses. They also have a free upgrade to HDV when the HDV component launches in a couple weeks.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #7
Major Player

So the Firestore does now work with HDV or the new JVC and has anyone heard when the JVC model is coming?

I saw the news flyer, but can't remember seeing a date anywhere.

I'll do a search but just in case can you provide a link to the Nnovia.

Thanks
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems