DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Still loving the GY-HD201 camera! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/503317-still-loving-gy-hd201-camera.html)

Dan Parkes January 14th, 2021 12:49 PM

Re: Still loving the GY-HD201 camera!

Thanks Theodorus! I am so happy to hear someone is still using this camera.

I still have mine. Other camera guys tell me I should have sold it, but it has a special place in my heart!

Although for work I now use Canon C300Mk2s (and a Panasonic GH5 for a B-cam). But you cannot beat for the form factor and colour of the JVC.

Paul R Johnson January 14th, 2021 02:48 PM

I'm really relieved to read this topic, because I really thought it was only me - I am a confirmed JVC camera fan - 500, then 5000, the 100 series, 200 series and 700 series. I've still got them all. I just bought another 750, so I have two of those now. The drive I used on the 100s and 200s still works and I have no issues at all with 720 HD. I'd rather have the nice pictures than than clever arty-farty things I see on YouTube. I got thrashed on one forum for not being sophisticated enough to see the difference 4K has over 1080, let alone 720. There are some wonderful bargains on ex-broadcast cameras that are 720 native.

The JVC pictures all match - from the 500 through to the 750 - the look is the same.I do like the 750s, they are my favourite - but last week I used the 101s for a little project and they're still great.

In normal times, my key use is theatre shows. I read over and over how useless the 100,200 and 700s are for stage work - noise, not enough gain etc etc and it's rubbish. I used the 100s up till last year on one regular clients shows - they've been paid for for ages, so I had no qualms at putting them in and forgetting them. I had a request from the BBC for a short clip to use in their regional programme. It is 1080 you're giving us, isn't it? well, what I gave them certainly was, but it came from a 101! They were happy with it and it went out about four times. I've got a B4 lens with adaptor on one 750 - that works great too. A shame the lens mount on the 750s is different.

Jay Webster January 17th, 2021 07:13 PM

Oh Yes,
I'm still using this camera for civic streaming and even some corporate video jobs.
The camera is still earning dollars after all these years ! The last camera that did that for me for so long was an Aaton LTR 16mm.!
Jay Webster

Dave Barnes January 23rd, 2021 11:58 AM

Agreed , still using my JVC 200, 250 and 700's. Like others I love the look of the image.
You don't need the latest fancy toys to make great images!

Still shooting a lot on tape also :)

Jay Webster January 24th, 2021 10:17 PM

Hey Dave,
Yeah, I'm still using tape too! But it's getting hard to impossible to find!
I also get a "take up spool error" message on the flip screen so maybe close to looking into the next camera!
If you have a line on HDV tape let me know!
THX!
Jay

Roman Schoen January 27th, 2021 03:25 PM

Hi,

My English is not very good. But I also like this cameras. And I really read every Thread here and learned from it. So, I love this forum.

Normally I show customers some sample videos shut with the good old GY-HD111 and ask them, wheather the picture matches their ideas. Then, 720p is never a point of discussion.

Since 720p it's not only the resolution that makes the quality of the picture.

Hoping reading here more from you guys.

Chears,
Roman

Paul R Johnson January 27th, 2021 04:37 PM

Roman - I 100% agree. The images from the 100 and 200 series still hold up and have a very usable image quality.

Dave Barnes February 27th, 2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Webster (Post 1963617)
Hey Dave,
Yeah, I'm still using tape too! But it's getting hard to impossible to find!
I also get a "take up spool error" message on the flip screen so maybe close to looking into the next camera!
If you have a line on HDV tape let me know!
THX!
Jay

Hi Jay... I have been grabbing them off of Ebay... no place to find HDV tapes really at this time other than Ebay.... :)