Still loving the GY-HD201 camera! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 6th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Still loving the GY-HD201 camera!

We have the GY-HD201 as our main corporate camera and I still prefer it over other cameras -especially the ability to film simultaneously both to tape and harddrive (we edit the harddrive files and archive the tape). I have used the new GY-HM750 but I have to admit that I still prefer the look I get with the HD201, it looks warmer and more natural, plus archiving material purely on SDHC cards or backing up on harddrives is still not a viable alternative to tape.

The only one negative I can find is that is doesn't shoot 1080p. But in the five years of running a production company I have only had one client ask for a 1080p master (and even then they were happy with 720p).

It's a shame that the "JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems" Forum has gone a little quiet...but I'm sure I must not be the only one still enjoying the use of these cameras?....

Anyway, here is an example of something we filmed this year with our GY-HD201 and a 35mm adapter:

Bottom's Dream ( "A Midsummer Night's Dream") - YouTube
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Still loving the GY-HD201 camera!

Hi Dan
You are not alone... I'm continuously going back to the HD201 these days after working with DSLR's.
Mainly for the form factor but also, I just like the image and like you, 720p delivery seems to suit most of my clients. I don't use tape anymore though and do archive in HDD's. It works for me but I am a small operation.

Can I ask you what scene files do you use. I watched Bottom's dream and was impressed with the look as well as it's great direction. Very nicely done!

Cheers

Gavin
Gavin Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Gavin

Many thanks for the kind words regarding "Bottom's Dream". I used Paolo Ciccone's True Color as it gives such fantastic depth (although I have toned down the reds a little in the scene file). The amazing thing is that the scene file is so good that I often end up using it raw rather than colour correcting later in post. In fact the feature we shot using the GY-HD201 and Ciccone's True Color is 90% ungraded! (trailer below). Although in that case we also used Cineform as an intermediate codec which certainly help maintain the colour. So kudos to JVC, Ciccone and Cineform!

Old December 7th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know if you saw this thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...es-2011-a.html
A few users put together a scene file list due to the fact that most of the links previously posted have died.

If you have a copy of Paolo Ciccone's TC3 settings, I would be very grateful if you could post them here. I have looked everywhere but it seems Paolo is re-doing his website and all the links or off line.
If you could include the level you set the reds at then I would be doubly grateful....: )

Ambleton delight got some serious accolades... you must have been very proud!

Kudos to you and your team

All the best

Gavin
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Here is the TrueColor250 file. Quality minimal as I quickly scanned it with my iPhone via Evernote. But the data are clear.

Agreed with you, Dan. Wish the GY-HD list were a bit more active, especially on the creative side . And stunning colors in that clearing ! There's a quallity to the GY-HD series which is particularly cinematic . Someone told me that's due to the straightforward full-progressive scan, whereas most other cams do some weird processing.

I just shot a similar short, in a magical fall oak bocage in France. The GY-HD251 gave gorgeous images of greenery. scene file was Tim's superwide. Used Zeiss primes.
Attached Thumbnails
Still loving the GY-HD201 camera!-evernote-20111207-23-38-38.jpg  
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Claude, you beat me to it!

And glad to hear someone else also using Evernote....

Anyway, thanks Gavin for your comments regarding the feature 'Ambleton Delight'. I am pleased with how much we achieved with so little... in fact there is a 100-piece production diary/tips (+behind-the-scenes video) on how we made it which you can read here: The Recipe to Ambleton Delight

Claude...any chance of seeing the short you short in France. Sounds fantastic!
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you very much Claude. I've been looking for that scene file for a while.

+1 to see those autumnal oak forest shots. The Zeiss primes must be a joy to shot with.

I'll have a read through of the shooting diary for Ambleton Dan. Thanks again for your response.

I'll be launching a very large video project at the start of 2012 so I'm sure I will gererate more activity on this forum regarding this camera.

Cheers

Gavin
Old December 8th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

To Dan or Claude....

I presume that the settings posted above are without the adjustments to the red levels. I just did a quick test and found that the reds do pop. I wonder if it would be possible for either of you to post your finalised settings so I could try them out on my camera. I wouldn't ask normally but I'm afraid that I currently don't have access to a professional colour chart and can't play around with the settings myself.

Sorry if I'm been a bother....

Best
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #9
Major Player

Gavin, I cant't help with the reds as I never actually used this setting while shooting film.

But I checked my files again and found this as well (a print-out from a post in this forum, date unknown). Again, apologies for poor scan quality.

Dan, I'm not well organised for posting, but I'll try and put it up after X-mas.(Working) Title is «To see or not to see».
Attached Thumbnails
Still loving the GY-HD201 camera!-evernote-20111209-13-01-55.jpg  
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Gavin

Just checked my camera now and I think the only difference compared to the TruColour settings (the first one that Claude posted for the 250) is that the R Gain is set to MIN, instead of -3. Which seems to help a bit.

I also don't have access to a professional colour chart, unfortunately, so this change in setting is the best I've been able to do (but is the setting used for the two videos posted above...).

By the way, today I just had a client actually request 720p for a shoot next week...so once again this camera is coming in useful!

Look forward to seeing your short film Claude, also learning more about your large 2012 video project Gavin -sounds exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Owens View Post
To Dan or Claude....

I presume that the settings posted above are without the adjustments to the red levels. I just did a quick test and found that the reds do pop. I wonder if it would be possible for either of you to post your finalised settings so I could try them out on my camera. I wouldn't ask normally but I'm afraid that I currently don't have access to a professional colour chart and can't play around with the settings myself.

Sorry if I'm been a bother....

Best

Last edited by Dan Parkes; December 10th, 2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: clarified which setting I was referencing
Dan Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Many thanks Dan,
That does seem to pull the reds down a little. I'm going to have a proper play with the settings over the next few days.

The video project is to do with tourism and if sucessful, will generate many hours filming many beautiful things so fingers crossed

Thanks again
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The settings where spot on. I've been busy shooting over the last while as we develop the new project
Your complete online travel guide to Asturias
Where is Asturias on Vimeo

Thanks again to Dan and Claude
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Regular Crew

That's great Gavin, glad the settings worked out!
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #14
Major Player

You're welcome, Gavin - I'll try out the tweaks myself.
More activity here would be welcome.
Dan - i finally got my own JVC cine adapter at USD 400 - instead of USD 4000 ...
Now I must find some 16mm PL everyday glass (for shoots I use matched rentals).
Old January 14th, 2021, 12:25 PM   #15
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parkes View Post
We have the GY-HD201 as our main corporate camera and I still prefer it over other cameras -especially the ability to film simultaneously both to tape and harddrive (we edit the harddrive files and archive the tape). I have used the new GY-HM750 but I have to admit that I still prefer the look I get with the HD201, it looks warmer and more natural, plus archiving material purely on SDHC cards or backing up on harddrives is still not a viable alternative to tape.

The only one negative I can find is that is doesn't shoot 1080p. But in the five years of running a production company I have only had one client ask for a 1080p master (and even then they were happy with 720p).

It's a shame that the "JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems" Forum has gone a little quiet...but I'm sure I must not be the only one still enjoying the use of these cameras?....

Anyway, here is an example of something we filmed this year with our GY-HD201 and a 35mm adapter:

Bottom's Dream ( "A Midsummer Night's Dream") - YouTube
Your acquisition is lovely still in 2021 quality standards-based. I bought mine (HD201E) in September 2019 and I love to use it despite my Lumix GH5 and GH3 are much easiest to carry and operate. For the same reason, I love to use my Olympus E1 than the E3 and the Lumix GX1. Both of them, the JVC and the E1 tempt to give a film like images.
Happy New Year 2021!
Theodorus Yerarides is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems