Capturing HDV on Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing HDV on Vegas

I'm trying to capture JVC GY-HD 110-u, running tape through firewire into Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0, through Windows 7, 64 bit, desktop, 2.6 dual processors, plenty of ram. I get "Device Not Available" when I try to capture. Firewire's good (I've tried others). And I've tried separate ieee card. I've dumped the firewire drivers and re-installed No difference.

Camera captures ok on a Vista based laptop, same Sony video software. So I would suppose that means the camera's port isn't blown.

Movie maker doesn't recognize it either and Windows recognizes the camera only when I first re-install a driver, and only as a generic dv device.

Camera is switched to HDV and I've tried capturing live and pre-recorded tape.

Any ideas? Is it Windows 7 that has an issue with JVC HDV?
Chuck Anschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Capturing HDV on Vegas

i know with Vegas pro at somepoint after v8 they broke the ability to capture jvc hdpro codec. Don't know if they've fixed it yet with v11 either
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Trustee

You could check if it is a Windows problem by following the links below:

Fixit:
Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
Download: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

If it's not a Win7 problem, it could be a motherboard problem - especially if it is an older model.
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anschutz View Post

Camera is switched to HDV and I've tried capturing live and pre-recorded tape.

Any ideas? Is it Windows 7 that has an issue with JVC HDV?
There were lots of problems with firewire capture with Avid Media Composere under Windows 7. It only works with the legacy driver. So, my advice: first update your firewire driver to OHCI conforming ... driver (legacy).

A second trial could be to modify the driver for the JVC device. This is possible, if the device is connected and shown in the device manager. Right click the device, and manually select the driver from a list, uncheck the box "Show compatible devices" and look for JVC in the left pane, and then seelect JVC camcorder in the right pane. Click OK.

Joachim
Joachim Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The computer recognizes the JVC as "AV/C Subunit" and when I right click it, my choices are "Create Shortcut", "Troubleshoot" and "Properties" so it doesn't appear to be recognized as a JVC HDV camera. It doesn't give me the opportunity to update the driver (the link is shaded inoperable).

But under driver details it appears my three choices each contain "...32drivers" which makes me think they don't fit my 64 bit system.

Maybe I should dumb down to 32 bit windows? Do most people run their editing programs on 32 bit successfully?
Old December 27th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I think there is a misunderestanding. You should look in the windows device manager. There a HDV device should be shown as "AV/C-Tapedeck" in the category "Audio-, Video- Gamecontroller".

Rightclick the AV/C-tapedeck should allow you to select "Update Driver" from the openening menu.
If not, you ma be logged on as a standard user and not an administrator. Logout and re-login as administrator.

Now, if you right-click, select "update driver" and then the second option (non automatic). A new window opens and gives you the choice to select a driver from a list. Click this option.

Another new window opens and shows AV/C-tapedeck. Uncheck the box "show compatible hardware" and windows will present you with a list of differetn manufacturers. The current device driver is listed under "standard", goto JVC and you will find the entry "JVC-tapedeck". Select this one an test, whether it runs nicely.

Joachim
Joachim Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Wow. Success.
Nice walk-through.
Thanks for responding Joachim. Much appreciated.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Also important to make sure the right firewire driver (legacy) is chosen I found eventually. Nice to get that roadblock out of the way.
Chuck Anschutz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems