DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   New HD100 Clips 9-5-05 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/50551-new-hd100-clips-9-5-05-a.html)

Werner Wesp September 6th, 2005 12:40 PM

Well, those little dropouts bother everyone, I guess... I can't imagine anyone not noticing them.

On the other hand: if it is a way of shooting, it's not that important. Normally you end up using roughly 5-10% of shot footage (events). You might get lucky...

Stephen L. Noe September 6th, 2005 07:28 PM

We rarely get dropouts on DV because we only use the suggested tapes per camera. Panasonic get's fed Panasonic. Sony get's fed Sony and JVC get's fed JVC. A drop out or block noise is pretty rare in these parts.

This brings up something else about the companion deck to the HD100. According to the literature. The deck has error corrrection. Does anyone have the companion deck?

Mark Glanville September 7th, 2005 06:18 AM

i have access to a JVC BR-HD50. how can i check the error correction?

mark.

Kevin Shaw September 7th, 2005 07:31 AM

For what it's worth, I've shot several weddings now on Sony FX1 and Z1 cameras and have yet to experience the sort of blocky dropouts I'm used to in DV or as shown in the sample clips posted in this thread. I have had a few incidents where the video dimmed noticeably for a moment in a way which may be due to some kind of dropout, but no blatant digital artifacting.

I'm still waiting for Firestore to release their HDV firmware for the FS-4, so I can use that as an alternative recording solution.

Kenn Christenson September 7th, 2005 09:11 AM

Anyone notice on the mega tilt-down (Downtown 7) at the end, looking down at the road, the upper part of the screen has shifted a little to the magenta and the bottom has shifted a little to the green.

I've seen this problem with my old GY-DV 500. I sent still frames of this phenomenon to my JVC tech and he couldn't see it. Maybe they've grown accustomed to seeing it, who knows.

Tim Brown September 7th, 2005 09:17 AM

I saw this as well... well maybe not the green shift at the bottom. I thought the top may have been the lense flaring a bit from the sun, but definetly noticed it at the end of the tilt.

Can anyone else comment on why this may be happening?

Nate Weaver September 7th, 2005 10:51 AM

Small white details show the CA...if something is on ONE side of the focus point, it will have green edging, if it's on the other, it'll have magenta.

I suspect all the white speckles in the street are inside the focus point the lens was set to. Even though they're technically in focus (because I was probably shooting a F8), each little speckle likely has a green edge.

Honestly, I never saw it until mentioned here, and I had to watch it 4 times to see it.

I don't mean to sound like a Fuji apologist, but if I have to watch something 4 times to see the problem, I'm not going to sweat it.

Stephen van Vuuren September 7th, 2005 11:09 PM

Thanks for the better look at the stock lens - it's sharp and the CA are not nearly as bad as in other samples, so maybe it's something that can be worked around, esp. if shooting for SD display on smaller screens.

Personally, I don't think this affects the HVX200 much - the HD100 is demonstrating that 24p and progressive scan count for a whole bunch is delivering a nice image. The Z1, especially those shooting cineform mode or deinterlacing in post looks weak compared to what these shots look like.

Ram Ganesh September 8th, 2005 05:03 PM

thanks for the clips!

Craig Donaldson September 9th, 2005 03:35 PM

cant see clips

I really wanna see these clips you posted Nate, but I cant seem to down load them successfully. I am on a mac with no right click but when i 'control' click i get an option to download but it comes out as jibberish like you said it would.
What am i doing wrong? The files, when downloaded, have a .txt ending added to the filename......??????????????????????????????????????

Craig

Edwin Huang September 9th, 2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
I really wanna see these clips you posted Nate, but I cant seem to down load them successfully. I am on a mac with no right click but when i 'control' click i get an option to download but it comes out as jibberish like you said it would.
What am i doing wrong? The files, when downloaded, have a .txt ending added to the filename......??????????????????????????????????????

Craig

select the file. Apple-I (Get info). remove ".txt". OS will ask if you are sure. Confirm. Open in VLC player.

Steve Nunez September 9th, 2005 07:36 PM

...or just open VLC Player and drag them into the playlist- they'll play even with the .txt extension

For what it's worth, my FX1 produces footage nearly identical- I can post videos should anyone wanna compare. I do love the form factor of the HD100 as well as the lens interchangeability.
I can't wait to see the XL version of their HDV camera.

Nate Weaver September 9th, 2005 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
For what it's worth, my FX1 produces footage nearly identical

I've spent a fair amount of time with the FX-1...my feeling is that in interlaced mode, the Sonys have plenty of resolution. In CF30 or 25 though, things get softer and then the HD100 has an advantage.

I would have bought my own FX1 or Z1 if getting to 24P wasn't a hack...it's the first Sony camcorder I think I could live with. I came VERY close at one point to throwing in the towel on the long wait for the HD100 and getting a Z1. Very glad I waited.

Stephen L. Noe September 9th, 2005 10:05 PM

Same thing here Nate. Two of my compdres did get Z1/FX1. We edit it and it is nice but compositing screencaps no workie. Screen captures look bad and the downrez looks bad. Conversely, just from the posted videos and the quickie work I've done with the clips I can tell that the ProHD is better in every way. The screen captures alone are precise. You can do alot with that.

Nate, did you spring for the companion deck?

Christopher C. Murphy September 10th, 2005 06:09 AM

Ok, I checked out all the clips and I own a Z1U.

They definately look good...better than the Z1U. However, I can still tell it's HDV and related to a HD10U. It's not a bad thing, but I can see it because my previous camera was the HD10U.

If I hadn't bought my Z1U I'd definately be looking at all these new cameras...the HD100 is very nice. I personally like the interchangeable lenses the most and the actual ergonomics of the camera - the actual image just doesn't blow me away though.

From what I've seen the HD100 and the Z1U are close in image quality. I've got a feeling the new HVX and new Canon will be close. Just a hunch, but with the newer cameras coming...it seems like they'll be getting the extra bandwidth needed to help move beyond the HDV look. (Not 100% sure about Canon of course, but the HVX will definately have some Megs per second on-board to help it along)