HD100 handling... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 17th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Major Player

HD100 handling...

I've paid my HD101E two month ago but it still isn't there...

Yesterday I had the opportunity to 'test' a HD100E. It was the first time I saw one in real-life. Quite an amazing package. It is 'small', but big in another way...

From reading posts, I had thought the balance with the standard battery was fine. It wasn't for me though, very front heavy and almost to light to hold steady. I have to admit I'm quite a muscular guy, so the shoulder-pad was over half way to the back. Thank god I've got my IDX-adapter already. That will be much better.

Incredible build-quality. The lens has the appearance of an 1/2 inch lens, rather than a 1/3 inch (like the panasonic AJ-D200, ...): it is bigger, heavier and sturdier.

This might seem a strange comment: but it is really, really BLACK. no dark gray, no blue-like (like on some pictures)... Deep black. Very nice, hope it's not to hot to handle in the summer :-)

No dead pixels on the item. Split screen at +18 dB (I'm sorry, I really couldn't care less...). Fine at +9 dB.

Focus assist... What can I say? It was somewhat strange at first, but when you get used to it, it is a marvellous tool. Works very, very well (checked all footage on a JVC HDTV LCD via HDMI).
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, if you are used to handling larger ENG cameras I reckon it will take a bit of getting used to.

However, I have been practicing quite a bit and you do get used to the lighter weight and smaller size of the camera. I have been reminding myself to relax and use my body rather than my arms.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #3
Major Player

By the way, can you tell me what IDX adapter you are referring to. I was thinking about the Anton Bauer adapter and would like to compare them.

Rob
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #4
Major Player

There is an exclusive IDX system for this camera, the IDX-100-E or just the adaptor A-E2HD100. It seems that only JVC itself sells this product, not IDX. The price is somethink like $1500 for only 2 batteries, I hope A/B to have a better offer!
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Woa! Those batteries will clearly deliver better picture quality for that price. Unfortunately, the Anton Bauer System all up is not much cheaper. However, I really cant see much alternative.

Thanks for the info.

Rob
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #6
Major Player

There is an alternative, actually it's the one I chose for now. You can always purchase a lot of BN-V428 batteries. I ordered on Ebay 4 compatible with 3500Mha plus a original JVC with 2800Mha, only for 10€ each. I'll have 6 batteries, 4 of them will last longer because they are 3500Mha. I've always used this compatible batteries on my PD150 and on my digital photo camera, never had any kind of problems. 1425€ + VAT for the IDX system... I would buy a new laptop instead!

However, if you really want that solution you can purchase the A/B batterie mount for about $350 and go to www.globalmediapro.com to search for gold mount batteries. They have their own brand at good prices. If you don't trust unknown brands try the Swift batteries, they're cheaper and very good...
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #7
Major Player

Dear Diogo,

Thanks, I will check out some of these alternatives.

Rob
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Just received a mail from someone who saw my previous post telling me that his compatible third party batteries didn't work and had to return them... now I'm concerned! Anyway there are some original cheap JVC BN-V428 from sellers in Hong-Kong. Make a search on ebay.
Old September 19th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #9
Major Player

I was referring to the IDX A-E2HD100 battery adapter. I have it lying here already, but I'm still waiting on my own cam...

It is very, very expensive: here in europe I paid €355 for the adapter only (that is 500 american dollars!). Tha anton-bauer, solution should be a lot cheaper, but well... the IDX solution looked cooler :-)

With the IDX the battery is lower and somewhat angled. It also has an Dtab 12V out. The A-B seems to have a funny piece sticking out at the side of the cassettedoor....
Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:20 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
I was referring to the IDX A-E2HD100 battery adapter. I have it lying here already, but I'm still waiting on my own cam...

It is very, very expensive: here in europe I paid €355 for the adapter only (that is 500 american dollars!). Tha anton-bauer, solution should be a lot cheaper, but well... the IDX solution looked cooler :-)

With the IDX the battery is lower and somewhat angled. It also has an Dtab 12V out. The A-B seems to have a funny piece sticking out at the side of the cassettedoor....
You paid more for the IDX then you would for the A-B just because it looks cooler??? LOL

The A-B has a place to put the HDD, I don't know about the IDX...
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:10 AM   #11
Major Player

Yep... My wife needs to agree to, eh? :-)
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:31 PM   #12
Major Player

That is a lot more expensive than what Ken Freed suggested it would be. He quoted something like US$400 ish with an IDX 80WH battery.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 05:03 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood
That is a lot more expensive than what Ken Freed suggested it would be. He quoted something like US$400 ish with an IDX 80WH battery.
I know.... But that's Europe, perhaps over in the US it is somewhat cheaper?
Old September 24th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
Just received a mail from someone who saw my previous post telling me that his compatible third party batteries didn't work and had to return them... now I'm concerned! Anyway there are some original cheap JVC BN-V428 from sellers in Hong-Kong. Make a search on ebay.
So Diogo, have you got your batteries and tested yet? They really don't work?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
So Diogo, have you got your batteries and tested yet? They really don't work?
After receiving that mail I decided not to take the risk. The guy I found on ebay from Hong Kong was a fake, so I ordered some batteries from B&H. I ordered 5 and a charger from the same brand of some other batteries I have for the PD150 (Power2000). They work fine and cost only $60 each, B&H also have the original JVC for $75 but these Power2000 are 3200mha... Anyway, I will probably receive the batteries first, I'm still waiting for the camera! :(

IDX and A-B systems are really cool, but for about $1700 i could buy 22 JVC batteries. I think that 6 or 7 JVC batteries will give me the same life of 2 IDX. Maybe someday I'll decide to purchase a new power system... I can't afford it now!
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems