24P Editing in Final Cut Pro 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

24P Editing in Final Cut Pro 5

When will we get JVC HDV-24P support in FCP 5? Now that Canon has released their XL-H1 camera, we now have two cameras that shoot 24 fps
in the HDV format. I've read that since Canon is part of the HDV consortium that they were able to incorporate 24 fps and 4 channel audio
into the accepted spec for what is known as HDV. Obviously, JVC is part or
this consortium as well. Is there anyone at Apple giving any sort of timeframe as to when HDV 24 in both 1080 and 720P might happen?
John Terendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

I really haven't been following this too closely since I have a Z1. However, in Apple's FCP forums awhile ago the consensus seemed to be "don't hold your breath." Apple doesn't generally discuss features for unannounced software, so I don't think you'll get any official word from them.

FWIW, they seem to roll out FCP updates once a year, so that might mean a 6 month or more wait for any new features.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM   #3
Wrangler

I would expect something very soon from Apple. The "once-a-year" updates are usually major full version updates. I expect Apple to release a 5.0.3 update that adds 720p24 very soon.

LumiereHD has said on the forums that they will release v2.0 of their software in the next week or so. The new version will remove the pulldown from the HD100 files and create editable quicktimes in any format. This, in theory, should bring compatibility to FCP4.5HD.
http://www.LumiereHD.com

The Canon XLH1 doesn't shoot 24P. It shoots 24"F". Speculation on the forums is that will be similar to Sony's "cineframe" filmlook within 1080i60. That means you could digitize it now with FCP5 using the 1080i HDV codec. The standard pulldown removers already in Cinema Tools may even be able to remove pulldown from 1080i ??? We'll have to wait until December to find out I guess.

Tim
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Wrangler

JVC Rep told me when I picked my camera they have been working with Apple for a while now.

I'm expecting 5.0.3 any minute..the only thing that could be holding it up is if they're rolling XLH1 support into the same update.

[edit: The Canon Expo last week had a session sponsored by Apple about how Canon and FCP live together happily, indirectly hinting that FCP will be working with the XLH1 also]
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems