File Manage question for HD100 owners at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 27th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

File Manage question for HD100 owners

Just curious about the number of custom image files you can store in the camera and on the SD card. From reading through the manual, I'm understanding that there are three included preset files plus two more that are user-definable. The manual shows that four more may be stored on the SD card but I had thought it was eight. Also, what are the included presets? Are they as described in the manual:

LIVE HD30P: Ideal setting for HD30P format
LIVE HD25P: Ideal setting for HD25P format
CINEMA HD24P: Ideal setting for movie film shooting

Is that right? Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Wrangler

That's right Chris.
Two can be stored to the internal memory (CAM1 and CAM2) and 4 additional can be stored to the SD card that comes with the camera. (EXT1 thru 4) It may be possible to store more with a larger card, but I've never tried.
The 3 unalterable presets are a good starting point to create your own presets.

What I don't like is that the presets contain ALL settings, not just camera process and video format. So when you load a new setting, it is possible that your user buttons, preset colour temp, safe action guides, etc. can change too.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Tim,

Since you have the camera.

What would you say the advantages over the new Canon are, based upon what we know of it, besides the fact I could get it by this Friday?

I've heard in the past there is not much difference between 1080i and 720p.

I saw the JVC displayed under a controlled lighting set and it looked good.

Also what about the Firestore for the JVC or JVC's own verison have you heard when they're coming out?

If others have an idea about these things, post away.

Thanks
Gary
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McClurg
What would you say the advantages over the new Canon are, based upon what we know of it, besides the fact I could get it by this Friday?
Not Tim, but you did say "if others have an idea"... the first advantage is that it's a little over half the cost of the Canon. Second advantage is that it has a unique 60p mode. Third is that it will be able to use a much wider variety of interchangeable lenses -- the Canon, due to its built-in handgrip, will be pretty much limited to lenses designed specifically by Canon for it. The JVC can use existing 1/3" lenses (however few there are) as well as a 1/2" adapter and a proposed c-mount adapter, plus we expect other adapters will be developed as well.

Quote:
I've heard in the past there is not much difference between 1080i and 720p.
There's a world of difference between what these cameras record. The JVC does 720/24p and 720/30p only. The Canon does 1080/60i. Presuming that 24F and 30F are quality recording modes, the advantage goes to Caon here: the option to get the 60i look is a big plus for the Canon. As far as resolvable detail, they're about the same; but if you're shooting for display on a 720p set, obviously the 720p system would be preferable, likewise if you're shooting for a 1080 broadcast, the 1080 system is preferable.

Quote:
Also what about the Firestore for the JVC or JVC's own verison have you heard when they're coming out?
Haven't heard yet... JVC's own version is a Firestore, they just rebadge it to say "JVC" but it's a Firestore FS-4 Pro through and through. Actually it's a little enhanced for the HD100 as well; apparently there's some sort of integration that lets you see the status of the HD recorder in the camera's viewfinder, etc. Also, the new IDX battery system includes a power tap that will power the HD100's Firestore, which is quite nice...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
What I don't like is that the presets contain ALL settings, not just camera process and video format. So when you load a new setting, it is possible that your user buttons, preset colour temp, safe action guides, etc. can change too.
I can appreciate that you see this as a drawback, Tim... however I think it's great (to each his own, right?) -- on the Canon H1, you're limited to the image control settings, that is, only the custom presets, going to the memory card.

To further this discussion, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you're limited to only four files on any SD card regardless of the card capacity. Can somebody confirm this please?

Also, this could be an HD100 owner's tip -- say you're limited to four files on a card. But surely there's no limit to the number of cards you can store to. What if you had a handful of 8MB cards... say the older MMC card, before the SD card became prevalent, the MMC format should be fully compatible. The camera shouldn't know the difference between an SD card and an MMC card. If you had five or six spare 8MB cards laying around, doesn't that mean you can now have twenty or twenty-four extra scene files, four to each card?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Third is that it will be able to use a much wider variety of interchangeable lenses -- the Canon, due to its built-in handgrip, will be pretty much limited to lenses designed specifically by Canon for it. The JVC can use existing 1/3" lenses (however few there are) as well as a 1/2" adapter and a proposed c-mount adapter, plus we expect other adapters will be developed as well.
There sure will be many more adapters. That's really a huge advantage on my book. I'M sure a B4 adapter will pop up some where and so one will be able to use any HD lenses out there, including Digi-primes etc. If you have an important shot, the fact you can rent that type of quality and use it on your HD100 is just a great option.

Quote:
There's a world of difference between what these cameras record. The JVC does 720/24p and 720/30p only. The Canon does 1080/60i. Presuming that 24F and 30F are quality recording modes, the advantage goes to Canon here:
Well, yeah, in the resolution. But not really in recording format. By what I understood by what I have read, including some of your posts, is that the JVC compression is more efficient and that ProHD is the best implementation of HDV. Resolution is really not all, specially when it comes from an interlaced image.

Quote:
the option to get the 60i look is a big plus for the Canon.
Well, that's something the JVC really lacks I guess. The interlaced look. Not for me, since I will get it for the progressive HD only. But I know some ou there still want it. At least you have 50/60p is SD. Not the same, but still.

Gary, it's a little early to compare the two cameras, as the canon is not even out yet. But since you asked, here's what I think the advantages and disadvantages of each camera are, based on what we know of both.

JVC Advantages:

-Real progressive,
-More efficient compression,
-More frame rates,
-More universal lens mount with more lens options,
-Manual lens option from the get go,
-Switches and buttons are "standardly" laid out
-It has the iris where it should be, and the way it should work. In the lens, working as a real iris should. Because it is a real iris.
-I will go ahead and list this one as well, since it seems the H1 has the exact same body as the XL2- The JVC is better built.
-Better form factor and balance (at least in my opinion)
-I want to add a more complete and professional menu (based on how the Canon's menus are laid out and look like), but I will wait till we have seen it.
-Price (a little over half the Canon's price)

JVC Disadvantages:

-No interlaced mode
-"Lower" resolution (it's really yet to be determined if 1080i with frame movie mode will look better than real 720p in the real world)
-Lens CA (we will see how good Canon's will be. One might have to choose a professional lens with CA or a prosumer lens without CA)

Canon Advantages:

HD-SDI
"Higher" resolution ( same applies here about real 720p vs. 1080 frame movie mode)

Canon Disadvantages:

-High price
-Proprietary lens mount
-Only one lens available and it's not a manual lens
-Limited to Canon XL lenses only
-prosumer type iris
-Built quality (considering it has the same toy like built of the XL2)
-Really, everything I listed on the JVC advantage list.

If anybody else can think of something to add to any of the lists, please do so. But that was what I could think from the top of my head.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McClurg
Tim,

Since you have the camera.

I concur with Barry and Michael. I'd like to add ERGONOMICS. I own a XL2, and it is very front heavy. The HD100 is a nice fit, and will balance even better once my AB batteries show up.

Tim
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I concur with Barry and Michael. I'd like to add ERGONOMICS. I own a XL2, and it is very front heavy. The HD100 is a nice fit, and will balance even better once my AB batteries show up.

Tim
I've owned an XL2 and it is so fron heavy it isn't truly workable....

The few times I've used the HD100, I must say it is a lot better, but I'll slap my IDX-adaper and battery on for the right balance...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 04:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Only 8 Setups per SD CArd

Spoke to Mr Yagi, MKT Manager JVC Pro Products Dubai, he spoke to the Engineer at JVC Japan, you can only save 8 Settings per card, size does not matter, but yes you can use multiple cards
Yusuf Thakur is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems