Battery Recommendation For GY-HD100U - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #61
Wrangler

That is only the case with one of their batteries, the Dionic 160, which is a large-capacity Lithium product. You can take them on planes but only in cargo with the proper clearance. All of their other batteries including the smaller Dionic 90 (which will run the HD100 for many hours) are OK.
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #62
Regular Crew

I just brought my camera with 2 anton bauer bateries. I only had been complained because my camera bag was too big and heavy. :D
Trung Dau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #63
Major Player

MY Sole concern here now is,
I own a number of AB Hy120 Batts which are quite heavy(about 3Kilos & more), what will be the situation of the mount on HD100 when i use such heavy batt on its back, I also intend to use FS3 with AB mount along with Hy120 batt on the back of HD100. Any comments onb this such HEAVY weight issue...
Thx
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:46 PM   #64
Trustee

Varizoom

Just to add more to the list: I have the AB mount with the Varizoom S-8080A. The combo, with the charger is cheaper than the AB batteries and it gives me a good 4 hours of operation per battery.
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:59 PM   #65
Major Player

re battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
Does the DC Connector on the back work? They show it connected to a oncamera light...

PS: $30 shipping? seems very ebayish
Ram, no DC conector on battery at all.

Its a cheep way of getting battery power just over $130.00 aus dollars.

rob.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:30 PM   #66
Major Player

re batery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
Will this work with the HD100U model as well?

And does it require any additional Mounts?

And will it charge from the JVC Adapter?
yes it will as far as i know the camera are the same except the firewire in/out,
the battery fits the same way as the std one but a bit longer.

works fine on my cherger.

rob.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:42 AM   #67
New Boot

making a battery oneself

Like all HD100 users, I want a longer life battery too -- 60 minutes just doesn't cut it. I also understand the desire to have a professional battery, IDX or otherwise, but I don't have one. Spending $1000 to $1600 for 2 batteries is a major expense, though, and grates against my DIY sense. So, I am looking into making one myself, and thought I'd throw out a couple thoughts and questions.

Firstly, as with film cameras, I am thinking that a belt-pack would be fine in most situations. That way, the camera is as light as possible, which I like.

I have some 11Ah NiMH rechargeable D cells. Running 6 in series gives 11Ah @7.2V, or about 80Wh. That is comparable to the Dionic 90 that Kevin Tierney mentions in this thread, that runs for 5 hours. 80Wh might go 4.5hours. These batterries cost roughly $100 for six. The charger that the same company (Maha Energy) makes is another $100. The clips and belt bag, etc, are, at least in the DIY world, nominal -- say, another $20. Add six more batteries for another $100, and figure in some shipping, and you have two 80Wh batteries for about $350.

Ok, so it's still somewhat pricey, but it's $700-$1300 cheaper than the professional option, and that difference is large enough for me to consider it.

But, not being an electrical engineer and not being privy to some of the HD100's design specs, there are a few things I don't know. Somewhere on this list I saw a post from someone who mentioned a self-made battery, and I suspect that there may be others here who know: the stock battery has three terminals: +, -, and T. What is T? If I test a battery with a multimeter, it is at the same voltage as the - terminal relative to the + terminal, and there is 9.3k Ohms between T and -. This number varies a little between different batteries, 9.2k - 9.7k. So, What is it? And, can I ignore it? I taped over the camera T terminal, so only the + and - terminals were connected, and it worked fine, but it makes me nervous to leave something that is intentionally there disconnected. Can anyone say whether or not it matters? Or, is it safe to use only the + and _ terminals?

And, in general, are there any thoughts on this idea?

Last edited by Robert Schaller; May 23rd, 2006 at 02:00 PM.
Robert Schaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schaller
Spending $1000 to $1600 for 2 batteries is a major expense, though, and grates against my DIY sense. So, I am looking into making one myself, and thought I'd throw out a couple thoughts and questions.
If you made a battery belt, the wire would just go to the DC input jack, which I believe is just a plain coaxial jack so you wouldn't have to deal with any terminals. The scary thing is I think it is non-locking jack (I might be wrong though).

But I wouldn't try to build your own batteries--not for this type of application. I've built some of my own packs for model airplane use but that's a hobby and here we're talking about professional videography.

Besides, if you built your own, the only way to do it cheap is to make it 7.2v, but then you won't be able to power 12v accessories like a light or LCD monitor. The professsional lithium-ion batteries are 12V and are just the right weight to balance the camera and they hold an enormous amount of power. Plus you don't have to deal with a battery belt and another cable to get in the way.

Batteries are without a doubt mission critical, so IMO, bite the bullet and buy a professional battery with a warranty. There are several lower cost alternatives than A/B or IDX.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #69
New Boot

Battery Recommendation For GY-HD100U

You mentioned that there are several recommendations outside the usual A-B and IDX route but I've failed to find anything outside those AND the weak little BN-V438 etc.
I'm scrambling to pull a rabbit outta my hat right now because I just got a JVC HD110U with the Varizoom dual mount and I've been working all week to cobble something together with very dismal results. If there is ONE design flaw in this camera, and believe you me I tried to find more, it is the lack of a simple XLR-4 power connector.
JVC designed the camera with the "handycam" battery in mind and when A-B and IDX stepped in with their solutions JVC was apparently happy to leave sleeping dogs alone.
To further add insult the blasted 438's are way overpriced for such a small unit and hard to find.
Please share with us those "other recommendations".
I'll shell out what I have to in order to get them.
Anyone who can come up with a reliable system could make some serious coin.
Here is my 110U with a homebuilt bracket to accomodate the Firestore.
(I'm waiting to receive my HD100/60 so the FS-4 is there as a "dummy")
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Recommendation For GY-HD100U-dsc00353s.jpg  
Jeffery Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #70
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery Haas View Post
If there is ONE design flaw in this camera, and believe you me I tried to find more, it is the lack of a simple XLR-4 power connector.
Both the HD200 and HD250 have the standard XLR-4 connector and come standard with a "pro" battery plate. (In the U.S. all HD200 series cameras ship with an AB Gold Mount.) Unfortunately, the HD100/110 never had this implemented into the design.
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM   #71
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone View Post
Just to add more to the list: I have the AB mount with the Varizoom S-8080A. The combo, with the charger is cheaper than the AB batteries and it gives me a good 4 hours of operation per battery.
Paolo, I know you posted this a year ago, but how are the Varizoom batteries holding up? I need to make a battery purchase soon and the cost savings from the Varizoom kits makes them tempting.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:39 PM   #72
Major Player

Varizoom Batt

will a VARIZOOM (V) mount Battery, work with my IDX Kit
Thanks
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM   #73
Major Player

I just bought 2 globalmediapro 95wh vmounts

my camera arrives next week, will let you know how it goes, 2 batteries only cost me $440AUD, and I think about $280AUD for the 2 x battery charger. Thats just under 1/3rd the price of the IDX setup

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM   #74
New Boot

What happened??

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Martland View Post
Hi

Just to let you know, with the help of JVC Pro, we are making a 52Wh Li-ion battery that will power a GY-HD100 camera for 3 hours.

The battery will sit off the back of the camera by about 25mm ( 1")
It can also be charged on the cameras supplied charger unit. It will also have a socket for a DC upper to power a Firestore. We are also making a rear mounting Firestore bracket for this camera.

Details are on our website, www.dsmpower.tv a photo will be there later this week.
---What happened? I went to order some and you still have the same
COMING SOON post on your site.
Did you guys decide NOT to offer this battery?
I'd like to buy some!
Jeffery Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #75
New Boot

re:Battery Recommendation For GY-HD100U

Oh well I guess dsmpower has left the building.
I've tried calling the business and no answer, and I've also emailed them a couple of times asking about these new batteries with no response.
Seems a real shame as I would have given them business and probably recommended them to fellow users.
Back to saving up for either the IDX or the AB I suppose.
Jeffery Haas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems