Tim's DVX settings work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 13th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #1
Wrangler

Tim's DVX settings work

So I haven't been posting much because I had a big job come along, another concert video. It shot last Friday, and I had to get a rough cut of 22 mins of footage done by today.

I've been doing these concerts for over 2 years on DVXs because they're just plain the standard for the budget level. Of course I sold my DVX for the HD100, so all last week while running around like a fruitcake getting ready for this, I realized I had don't my own matching to the DVX settings I use for my concerts.

Of course Tim had posted all this, which couldn't have been better timing. I always shoot what I call "hero" cam on my shoots, which is a position at FOH that tracks the singer from straight on...and I have to say, Tim's settings were dead on for color. My blacks fell off a little quicker than the DVX guys, but that also could have been because I consistently expose under the rest of the guys also.

After watching my first cut on my TV via DVD, it is apparent the HD100 is sharper than the DVXs...but not distractingly so. One camera out of 9 is not a high ratio, but if you had a whole shoot using HD100s, it'd definitely be a step up.

Anyway, my only point was to just mention that yes, Tim's settings are at the VERY least "in the ballpark", if not dead on. Yay Tim!

[edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention that after the show I had to shoot some reportage in the poorly lit dressing room...I went for 12db. After the night was over I realized what I had done, shot +12 in a dark room with a flat white wall behind the subject(s). Came out fine, no split.]
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #2
Wrangler

That's great to hear they work in a practical application... considering I haven't even had a chance to test them properly - just on the scopes.

You didn't happen to have 7.5% setup level turned on with the DVX's? That could account for the black differences.

I'd love to see some frame grabs, if NDA/copyright allows?

Tim
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #3
Wrangler

Nope, didn't have setup on the DVX's...I have to keep setup out of the picture because I stay digital the whole way to Digibeta delivery.

I uploaded stills, watch your email.
Old October 14th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #4
Trustee

Way to go. Tim's settings are great indeed!
Nate, did you shoot SD with the HD100 or downconverted from HD?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #5
Wrangler

Just DV 24PA. I knew I wouldn't have time to do a conversion on this job. Plus I wanted it to look more like a DVX, not less.
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #6
Trustee

24PA? I didn't know the HD100 had 24p advanced. Is that what you mean by 24PA?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #7
Wrangler

Yup. It shoots the same modes as a DVX100, if that's what you need. I'm talking DV mode here, not HDV.
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #8
Trustee

I didn't know that. I know in HD is has no 24PA, but I didn't really look at DV that well yet.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems