Cineform and Wafien for HD100 users - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 19th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #16
Major Player

Just my speculation. This Ingest Box not fpga based.
Core is P4-M-552. It is correct, David?
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #17
Major Player

David,

Since your testing the Canon... how long till we have a drive ready for that camera... hopefully around release time...

Thanks,

Gary
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Victorovich
Just my speculation. This Ingest Box not fpga based.
Core is P4-M-552. It is correct, David?
Correct, it is not FPGA based, but it is not Pentium-M based (too slow for 1920x1080 10-bit.)
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #19
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
John, Avid allows you to download and use their codec for free. So in a sense, it is a competing product. Smart move on Avids part to allow playback on non Avid systems. I believe Ikegama is going to be using their codec.
I guess - but you can't digitise to it without the DnxHD board, so really it's only a post solution for programs like AfterFX etc (unless you have an Adrenaline or above with the HD board).

Still I understand your position.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #20
Major Player

So...no 24p for the HD100?
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
So...no 24p for the HD100?
I'm pretty sure Dave answered that question in the following post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Yes. This device will capture any single link HD-SDI feedback or analog equivilent (details pending.) That means 1080p, 1080i, 720p at all the common frame rates at 10-bit. Customers are doing direct on-set recording today using Prospect HD systems, the Wafian product will offer similar capture abilities (plus some bonus features.)
"all the common frame rates" 24p I would say is a common frame rate. The only reason I asked him about 720 60p is that there seems to be some disagreement in this forum as to whether or not the HD100 supports that through the component out.
Ian E. Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #22
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes to 24p and yes 60p.
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Good to hear David. I doubt it will be cheap enough for me, but I look forward to an cheap attachable version one day for cheap HD cameras.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #24
Major Player

Wayne, what you think about "cheap attachable version" CFHD DVR 720p based on ETX-IM333 computer-on-module.
Quote:
Adlink Technology releases its new ETX-IM333 computer-on-module based on the ETX form factor. The ETX-IM333 is based on the Intel 855GME chipset and supports both Intel Pentium M processors from 1.1GHz to 2.0GHz and Celeron M processors from 600MHz to 1.3GHz. Both the chipset and processor are part of the Embedded Intel Architecture program that warrants long production life for applications that need extended availability. The module supports CRT/LVDS displays, 10 Base-T/100 Base-TX Ethernet, Ultra ATA EIDE, four USB 2.0 ports, AC ‘97 Audio, Serial/Parallel ports and Keyboard/Mouse.

The ETX-IM333 supports embedded features such as RS-232 console redirection, CMOS EEPROM backup for BIOS settings, allowing battery-less operation, USB boot/legacy, and PXE. The board is also available with an optional advanced next-generation video encoder that converts PC graphics data at a maximum 1280x1024 resolution to PAL (50Hz) or NTSC (60Hz) video signals. Alternatively the encoder can output Y, PB, and PR signals for HDTV i1080 monitors.
http://www.adlinktech.com/news/news_...ucts/n_121.htm
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
The first version of the device is an on set recorder to replace D5 or HDCAM-SR (i.e. tape based 10-bit recorders.) So it will not be portable like the firestore device...
Bummer, I thought that was the whole point of the Wafian recorder. If it's just a non-portable box, how is that any different from building a computer with an HD-SDI card and capturing to any desired HD codec? A portable version would be much more significant, because it would offer a direct alternative to shooting with the Panasonic HVX200 using the matching Firestore drive for that camera.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #26
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
Bummer, I thought that was the whole point of the Wafian recorder. If it's just a non-portable box, how is that any different from building a computer with an HD-SDI card and capturing to any desired HD codec? A portable version would be much more significant, because it would offer a direct alternative to shooting with the Panasonic HVX200 using the matching Firestore drive for that camera.
I have to agree Kevin - no doubt it might be tricked up with some hardwired VTR style buttons, but at the end of the day if its just a miniPC... well you can't put it on your camera.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #27
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is absolutely true that you can capture HDSDI feed into a PC for a similar effect, yet there are a lot of advantages for the Wafian recorder will have over self configured setups. It is a lot smaller than you average workstation, allowing for more imaginative applications; one of our customers is planning to place the unit in the trunk/boot of a car (for in car shoots) and control the unit wirelessly. The unit is a lot quieter than your average workstation as the CineForm compression can always store full res. HD to a single drive, large RAIDs are not needed; there are very few compressors that are both real-time and produce a small enough small enough output at the high quality we target, and be quiet enough to be on the set. Currently the only competitor in the same price range will be Prospect HD work stations, and we have customers currently and in the past, directly capturing to their Prospect systems. The Wafian makes that workflow easier, and much cheaper than a D5 or SR deck. Hopefully with the success of this product will allow units to get small and battery driven, and eventually totally portable for a wider range of shooting conditions.
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
A portable version would be much more significant, because it would offer a direct alternative to shooting with the Panasonic HVX200 using the matching Firestore drive for that camera.
You've got a point about portability (though the JVCHD100 is already portable with a portable HD codec in HDV. Further to this, the 720p24 mode of HDV codec is expected to perform as well if not better than the 720p24 mode of the DVCPRO-HD)

However, you're comparing:
1920x1080 and 1280x720 10-bit 4:2:2
to
1280x1080 and 960x720 8-bit 4:2:2 (or 2.67:1.33:1.33 and 3:1.5:1.5 compared ot the native resolution).

It's pretty easy to guess which will look better.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Currently the only competitor in the same price range will be Prospect HD work stations...
If I needed live HD-SDI recording and couldn't get it in portable form, then I'd probably just build a workstation since I'd need that to do the editing anyway. Small size and low noise could be advantages for the Wafian recorder, but maybe not by much compared to hand-picking computer parts.

As far as competition is concerned, what about computer-based HD-SDI solutions using Avid, Apple or Canopus products? Even uncompressed HD capture isn't all that expensive these days, considering you can buy two terabytes of storage with a good SATA RAID card for under $1500. Once we remove portability from the discussion, there are a lot of options which could be considered.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
Once we remove portability from the discussion, there are a lot of options which could be considered.
Please, do not make this!:)
We must concentrate on portability.
CFHD highly optimised for pentium M and as David Newman have said: real time encoding 720p24 possible with laptop P4M760 based. Only need component or hd-sdi adapter/convertor for laptop like this PCMCIA: http://www.imperx.com/frame_grabbers...framelink.html
and capture software alike DV Rack.
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems