FCP: Sony vs JVC & AIC vs HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 26th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #1
HDV Cinema

FCP: Sony vs JVC & AIC vs HDV

Looking at the docs for 5.0.3 I found a very interesting tidbit.

We know Sony records a PES data stream to tape not a TS as does JVC. But, I've always assumed that both used Closed GOPs. Not so.

While JVC quite does -- Sony uses Open GOPs which mean there are dependencies accross GOP boudaries. The advantage, of course, is Open GOPs squeeze the data more. The downside is that for even a cuts-only timeline all GOP boundries must correctly reflect these dependencies. That may require more than a few new conformed frames as should 720p.

Apple notes that the entire timeline must be "conformed" to meet Sony's HDV requirements. Likewise, even if you are going to another format, it seems as though the entire timeline must be conformed to get proper MPEG-2 that can be decoded and then re-compressed/re-encoded.

So if you have experienced very long export times with HDV and were -- as I was -- using 1080i, this could explain why it took so long.

So it makes sense to me that AIC will be faster to edit than HDV and faster for 1080i during export. But, HDV should be faster to export for 720p.

Still don't have my Mac up so it would be great if someone who has both 1080i and 720p were to experiment with a cuts-only Sequence.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems