Big day/First HD job with HD100-Mini35 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 11th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
In the meantime, here's almost every photo taken on the shoot:
Nate, what did you do to the VF? Is that some kind of extender?
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #32
Major Player

Hey Nate,

What battery did you use on the HD100? And how did you attaach it. So far i have used the lame JVC battery that lasts about 20 mini, if that. Wanted some solution to that problem =) Hopefully you can help...
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #33
Wrangler

Jiri: The stock viewfinder can extend up to about 3 inches or so. There's a lockring that keeps it in whatever position you want.

Brian: I rented an Anton Bauer back and two Dionics from HSR. Each Dionic lasted about 3-4 hours.

[Edit for Brian: I don't know which model number or even the capacity of the Dionics I rented. I know they were smaller ones, prob only 50w/h. Two batteries, the adapter, and two-place fast charger were $40 for the day. If you're looking at buying, take a look at globalmediapro.com]
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Jiri: The stock viewfinder can extend up to about 3 inches or so. There's a lockring that keeps it in whatever position you want.

Brian: I rented an Anton Bauer back and two Dionics from HSR. Each Dionic lasted about 3-4 hours.
Whas that all you needed? And how much? Any model numbers you can share so I can get them for mine. I really neeed them BAD! =) I was thinking of getting the breakout box for the mini35 but that is really expensive..
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #35
Wrangler

Brian (or any Mini35 user),

If you ever need an Anton Bauer setup and breakout box for your Mini, mine is available for rent (some pix here). It was built before the P+S versions but is fully solid, not a gaff-taped homebrew. I also have an adaptor to use the Canon B&W viewfinder with any camera on the Mini35, which can be a big help in focusing etc.
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #36
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Whas that all you needed? And how much? Any model numbers you can share so I can get them for mine. I really neeed them BAD! =) I was thinking of getting the breakout box for the mini35 but that is really expensive..
The AB model number of the mount is QR-JVC7/14 HDV
http://www.antonbauer.com/pdf-files/ProHD%20Sheet.pdf

It will take any batteries that are Anton Bauer Gold Mount. I have 4 Swit 88Wh batteries.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Nate, I didn't know that. That's neat.
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:38 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The AB model number of the mount is QR-JVC7/14 HDV
http://www.antonbauer.com/pdf-files/ProHD%20Sheet.pdf

It will take any batteries that are Anton Bauer Gold Mount. I have 4 Swit 88Wh batteries.

SWEEEEEET!. Will it also run the Mini35? I wanna get rid of the pointless small batteries and use one main one... I found one for $166. IS that a good price? I am looking at Dionic 160, which run 6.25 hours =) SWEET!! Edit: Problem is will be too heavy, so I think I will get Dionic 90 which they say run 5 hours on the JVC.. SWEET!

Also Tim,what batter charger do you use? Like to keep everything under $1000 =)

Thanks for all the help.. giving me some hope =)

Last edited by Brian Duke; November 12th, 2005 at 05:20 AM.
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #39
Wrangler

I haven't pored over the AB adaptor but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an auxiliary 7.2v output other than the direct connection to the camera (I know it has the 12v Powertap out which won't be much of a help in this case). Thus you would have to do some modification to the mount to get another power source output going, put a jack in the side that would feed nominal 7.2 out and then make up a cable from that to the input of the Mini35 at the front (2 pin Lemo). If you end up going that route I can point you towards someone in LA who can do this for you, the engineer who built my AB adaptor.
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #40
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Also Tim,what batter charger do you use? Like to keep everything under $1000 =)
I've got the Swit-304A Anton Charger (around $400 I think) and the Swit S-8080A batteries ($250 each - I think.) The AB mount was under $300.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #41
Major Player

I spent some time last night doing some research and the way I think I will be going is:

2 Dionic 90 batteries (5 hours on HD100U per manual) to keep it light, since the 160 weighst almost 4lbs and the 90 only about 1.5lbs;
A Quad2702 Charger;
The QRJVC7/14HDV to connect it all.

Should run about $2000 for all. BTW It beats the $5000 that it would cost for the P+S breakout box and that is without batteries (which run about $1000), so I think I'll save close to $4000K. I can live with that =)
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
I can point you towards someone in LA who can do this for you, the engineer who built my AB adaptor.
Thanks Charles,

I spoke to the tech guy at ZGC a few weeks back and he told me there is a cable out there that you can connect to the Mini35 into something else, so I find out on Monday, then get with you if it needs modification.
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #43
Wrangler

Brian:

The P+S breakout box does quite a bit more than provide a way to power the system from a different battery system. The video distribution circuit will allow the use of external viewfinder/onboard monitor (critical for balanced handheld work with most cameras) as well as cabling to a broadcast monitor. Currently one must use a T-splitter or external VDA to achieve this, which results in signal loss with the former and inconvenience with the latter. The viewfinder support allows the use of high-res CRT viewfinders which are still the best way to visually ensure accurate focus, very important with a shallow DoF system.

And the additional power outs are helpful with other accessories that may be incorporated down the road. Many folks working with small-format video have camera setups that involve numerous batteries across the system; an example would be a camcorder with it's own battery sitting on a stabilizer that uses a monitor with its own battery on the back; a wireless receiver with internal 9 volt perched on the back of the camera and maybe a video light with its own battery sitting on the top of the whole mess. Part of the problem is that this class of camera have settled on 7.2v as a standardized operating voltage, where most other accessories are 12v (the batteries themselves are usually listed as 14.4v these days). Obviously the problem here is having a phalanx of batteries and chargers handy, and having to keep tabs on the charge status of all. You have obviously identified the folly of having multiple batteries on the Mini35 also!

But I digress. The setup you describe is a good one, and if you don't need the additional management of the breakout box, you'll be in good shape. $5K is really a bit much for that piece (it cost me about half that to have mine designed and built, and that was at pretty premium rates). Again, realize that you will need to tap into the internal voltage converter of your AB adaptor which may void the warranty unless there's a sneaky back way to do it (Tim, you have one--any thoughts on this?) Possibly you could swap the hot lead out to the Powertap connector which would avoid drilling holes in the adaptor, but it would be nice to keep that 12v service for wireless mikes or the hard drive recorder, etc.
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Nate, which Blackmagic card did you use? Also did you record it on to miniDV tape and take it home to capture/edit?
Sean Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #45
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Livingstone
Nate, which Blackmagic card did you use? Also did you record it on to miniDV tape and take it home to capture/edit?
HD Pro Single Link. I didn't use it to capture, only to be able to monitor properly for color-correction.

Are you asking if I recorded to HDV? I did.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems