Canon Xl2 versus JVC HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 6th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Xl2 versus JVC HD100

Greetings Everyone,

I am looking for a little "street" advice. I come from film and have shot numerous low budget and some hi-budget projects. I am considering producing/directing another one next year.

I own an XL2, but love the idea of HDV. Has anyone used both cameras and can you please give me your opinion of whether or not I should dump the XL2 (anyone interested?) and pick up the JVC?

Can you please let me know how the JVC looks on a Hi-Def plasma monitor?

Sorry if my questions seem lame, and perhaps have been answered before, but I am relatively new to the video end of production.

Thanks,

Tom Chaney
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Tom:

If you haven't yet, you might find some useful info in the article I wrote this summer on the HD100 used with the Mini35, along with the clips that you can download and possibly play on your plasma:

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/jvcp...ini35test1.php

Before returning the camera I played the footage on my Fujitsu 42" plasma (EDTV) and it looked stunning, I imagine it would have only improved on an HDTV set.
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the reply. I had read your article, very imformative, and looked at the clips (not on my plasma however). I will try that.

It really sounds like the JVC is the XL2 plus HD - And I really feel that in terms of longevity a project originated in HDV is the way to go.

Would you agree?

If you were given the choice which camera would you shoot with?

Thanks again,

Tom Chaney
Old November 6th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I sold my XL2 just for the HD101. I've had the XL1 and XL2 for a long time and was quite happy with the performance of the XL2. Just one thing... The ergonomics... you really really can't get used to the ergonomics of the XL-series (and I know, because I used them quite intensively over the years - although I confess, I sometimes swapped them with DV500/DV5000/DV700 and those cams have so much better ergonomics, but too large...)

So, just for the ergonomic POV, the JVC is worth it's weight in gold....

btw, how much is 3.5 kg's in gold?
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
I sold my XL2 just for the HD101. I've had the XL1 and XL2 for a long time and was quite happy with the performance of the XL2. Just one thing... The ergonomics... you really really can't get used to the ergonomics of the XL-series (and I know, because I used them quite intensively over the years - although I confess, I sometimes swapped them with DV500/DV5000/DV700 and those cams have so much better ergonomics, but too large...)

So, just for the ergonomic POV, the JVC is worth it's weight in gold....

btw, how much is 3.5 kg's in gold?
Assuming 454.90 an ounce it comes to $56,290. ;)
Edwin Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #6
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
Just one thing... The ergonomics... you really really can't get used to the ergonomics of the XL-series (and I know, because I used them quite intensively over the years.
I always feel the same way reviewing any XL camcorder. Not only is it awkward, but there literally controls EVERYWHERE. The samething is true of digital still "cameras." I call these designs "appliances" because they do the job, but simply are not cameras designed by anyone who is a photographer.

Frankly, even the FX1/Z1 suffers. The HD100 is simply damn near perfect.
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Well said Steve. I always felt that way about my Xl1. HD100 feels like "coming home".

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I shoot with my left eye, is the eyepiece adjustable? I prefer to work with the camera on my right shoulder and shoot with the left eye.

Tom
Old November 7th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, the HD100 can be configured for left-eye-dominant shooters.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems