Volunteers needed to test some new scene files... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 9th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #1
Wrangler

Volunteers needed to test some new scene files...

I've been working on some new scene files that will emulate some different film looks. I colour corrected some basic footage to the desired look, then applied the CC settings to a basic capture of a colour chart. I then adjusted the settings in the camera to match the results on the scopes as closely as possible.

These are the new settings I have so far:

FILM NOIR (The Third Man, Touch of Evil)
WARM (Three Kings Act III)
WARM GREEN (Amélie)
BLEACH BYPASS (Three Kings Act I, Saving Private Ryan)
CROSS-PROCESSED REVERSAL (Three Kings Act II)
FILM VERT (The Matrix)

Before I go public with this next batch of settings, I'd like some real world testing done in various locals and environments. All you would basically have to do is program the settings into your camera and shoot the same setup with each
setting.
If you have a SD card reader (or digital camera with SD) I can also email you the scene files in .scn format and you can transfer them to the camera.

So please respond to this thread if you are interested and let me know what EXT environment you can shoot in (desert, urban, studio, snow, jungle, etc.) and when (DAY/NIGHT/MORN/MAGIC HOUR.)

More specific instructions will follow.

Tim
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #2
HDV Cinema

Las Vegas gives me desert, tropical, and city at night. So FILM NOIR (Touch of Evil), WARM GREEN (Amélie),
BLEACH BYPASS (Three Kings Act I), and FILM VERT (The Matrix) would all work here.
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

SD-files

I can shoot in scandinavian nature enviroment, and are doing som documentary work as this time.
You are welcome to email me SD-settings.

info@dba-media.dk

Greetings from
Henrik
dBA MEDIA
Henrik Helms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #4
Major Player

I can shoot in Los Angeles =)

You can email me duke@superbadmusic.com

The only problem is my HD100U is attached to a Mini35 and I am not sure if that is what you need.

Last edited by Brian Duke; November 9th, 2005 at 01:44 PM.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Scene settings

I would like to test these out here in Mozambique, mainly in the wildlife and documentary context. Can you email me these SD settings and the .scn files please. james@earthmedia.co.uk I will try the warmer files in the very harsh light we get here in the summer (now)

Its excellent that you have the initiative to do these things Tim, thanks...

James
DP
Earthmedia Imaging and Film
Maputo, Mozambique
James Ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Tim

Please email me that SD settings, aim so interesting by film look , I will be so happy if you do that for me

smallcinma@yahoo.com
Mouayed Zabtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #7
Trustee

Tim, I could test them on urban, studio, snow (soon) any time of the day you need. Please shoot me an email if you would like me to test them.Thanks.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #8
Major Player

Tim,

I can do a lot of different scenes here in Puerto Rico (the carribbean tropic): colonial city, forts, port (more than 500 years old), forest (the only officialy pronounced Rain Forest in the US territory), modern city, tropical beach (even in the middle of winter!), dry environment in the south of the island, lighthouses, and many more... Just send me the files.

I am part of a project (feature) that will start main photography in the middle of November to be shot 100% here in PR using only the HD100. The DP is a successful film/video cinematographer that moved recently back to PR from Hollywood, and his reel is impressive. That will give me some cinematic's light controlled environment in which I can test all of them.

Cheers,

Luis Otero
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #9
Major Player

tim im in!

hey tim, in japan and living across the road to the biggest park in tokyo so im sure i can do something for u, i have the stock hd100 ok with a 32 mb card. reply back if you're interested
Jemore Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #10
Trustee

Tim,

I can get you urban Chicago, suburban Chicago, lake Michigan, nightlife (of the human type!), industrial wasteland and in the the spring I can get the Baltic Sea, Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn, Estonia (possibly St. Petersburg, Russia).

That's what's coming up. What is your timeframe to compile?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Would love to test

Based in Middle East, Dubai, UAE, will film desert, mountains,
city, at sea etc. Pls email your settings and would try them out.

Thanks
Yusuf Thakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #12
Major Player

I'll gladly test them in belgium WESPproductions@telenet.be
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #13
Wrangler

Wow. What an overwhelming response... and in less than 24 hours!

I will email the settings to all of you. It would be great if each of you could test at least three of the scene files and report back, or if you can load/program all six, that would be ideal!

For those planning to copy the scene files to a SD card with a SD card reader:
Since the SD card only holds four settings, I would suggest programming/copying two of them into the camera's two internal memory slots (CAM1 and CAM2), and then copy the other four to the SD card.
Make sure you save off your own custom settings to your computer before overwriting them - or you can just rename them on the card.
The camera will only detect settings named EXT1.scn, EXT2.scn, EXT3.scn or EXT4.scn so you will need to rename the scn files once you transfer them to the SD card.
WARNING: These settings were created with a HD100U, so there is a possibility that they may not work in the HD100E or HD101E, or produce unexpected results. Please use them at your own risk.
Also, all of the scene files were created in 720P24 mode, so please feel free to change to 720P30 or 720P25 if it is easier for you to digitize.

The test procedure.
Here's the method I would like everyone to stick to so that we can all analyze the results a little easier:
  1. Load the "CINELIKE HD24P" file from the camera's internal ROM. You may switch to 25P or 30P if it will be easier for you to digitize.
  2. Manual White balance (or use 3200K or 5600K preset if you are in tungsten light or outside on a bright day, respectively.)
  3. Shoot your first shot with the CINELIKE HD24P
  4. Load the first custom scene file
  5. Shoot the same setup with the new scene file
  6. Load the next custom scene file
  7. Repeat Steps 5 & 6 for all the scene files you are testing
  8. Optional: Make any custom modifications you want to the scene files and make notes of what is different.
  9. Optional: Shoot samples with your modifications
  10. Digitize the material
  11. Export a JPEG of each example and, if possible, upload to your own server or email them to me.
  12. Respond to this thread with your comments and post links to your examples.

It is great that we will get so many diverse environments, but some of the settings will work better in certain situations.

For bright/hot environments all six should work really well. If you are shooting nighttime or INT studio, I'd specifically like to see FILM NOIR, FILM VERT, but the others may give some interesting results.
Also, if you want to emulate the sharp look of Three Kings or Saving Private Ryan, then increase the shutter speed to at least 1/100 of a second.

NOTE ABOUT TALENT: The best way to judge these settings is with human subjects, however please don't photograph strangers unless the privacy laws in your country permit it. For example, in all of Canada you are fair game if on public property - except for the Province of Québec, where personal privacy extends to public property. The definitions of "public property" vary, but it would be safe to say that parks/beaches/streets/train stations are public. Food courts, office buildings, restaurants are not. When in doubt, just ask permission or get a signed release.
The best subjects to use are family members, girlfriends/boyfriends, actor friends, etc.

Good luck!

Tim

ADDED NOV 12: IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT WHITE BALANCE.

It is very important that you set your white balance with a "normal" setting (CINELIKE HD24P as suggested) before loading one of the new scene files.

The problem is that if you manually set your white balance after loading the a scene file with specific colour shifting (towards green for example) the white balance circuit will counter-act it. It really sucks that the white balance circuit samples the image after it has been processed, but that's the way it is.

If you are having problems with manual white balance then just use preset 3200K for tungsten or 5600K for outside and least you will get consistent results.

The other thing I want to mention is that for those of you using the original SCN files I emailed, I just realized that the "preset" white balance switch was set for FAW instead of preset. FAW should be set to "NONE."

I have corrected the mistake on all of the SCN files, so please download these the revised versions here:

TD_scene_files_v2.zip

UPDATE Feb '06:
There is a problem with the way the white balance settings are saved for A and B into the scene files. Basically, don't bother trying to use manual WB with the "colour shifted" scene files. This includes FILM VERT, WARM, and WARM GREEN. Your best bet is to use preset WB of 3200K or 5600K depending on tungsten or daylight lighting.
The problem is that the HD100 saves EVERYTHING to the scene file, even the manual WB temperature. Therefore, even if you manually set the WB, when you load my scene file A becomes overwritten with "3000K" because that is what I had manually set it to. If you reset the WB after loading the scene file then it will counteract any WB PAINT adjustments I had made - defeating the colour shift. It is a real "Catch-22" and the only solution I can think of is to design separate scene files for a few various WB temperatures. More later.

Tim
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Otero
Tim,

I can do a lot of different scenes here in Puerto Rico...
Luis, your email isn't part of your public profile.

Tim
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Tim, I hope its not too late, plz send me the settings as well. I will be shooting a 3 minute short for a festival in less than a week. Im located in Sweden and would love to test out. Plz let me know!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems