Split Screen Fixed Yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Split Screen Fixed Yet?

Sorry to mention a products defects, but has the split been fixed in later released cameras? Can anybody with a new JVC100 confirm this? Starting a project and need to know damn soon.
Many thanks for your indulgences.

WBDunn
Bill Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Please read this statement from JVC: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/f...re_id=13#chips.
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #3
New Boot

Split Screen

Thanks for the official response, but I prefer a response from a seasoned user who has a late issue camera.
I'll wait till tomorrow without assuming its not fixed.

Merci
Old November 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Wrangler

It's not fixed. The calibration procedure in firmware that tries to minimize it has been improved reportedly, but it has not been "fixed". It likely will never be "fixed" in this hardware revision.

As a user of the camera, if you have not used the camera and seen what it's capable of on a proper display, then I implore you to do so.

[edit: Robert's response was a nice way of saying "It's never going to be "fixed", as such]
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:41 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Bill,

I think Robert was trying to help with the link. Anyway, the split "issue" has been minimized for the most part and the subject has given way to the next hurdle, 24p capture and timecode. If you shoot 30p then this likely will not be a problem for you.

Have you had the camera in your hands?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:03 AM   #6
New Boot

bill dunn

Stephen I did heft the camera in Toronto at the Dv Shop and liked the ergonometrics of the machine. The owner and I had a discussion on the split fault and he said it had stalled his sales of that item.
Our project requires a reliable camera for a doc shoot around the world. Low light, no light would be the rigour not the exception. So the JVC100HDV not the machine one ought to use?

Thanks

Dunn
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Mine works fine

I got my HD100 about a month ago and I have not noticed the split-screen yet. Can't say that I have pushed it to the limits, but I certainly have no complaints.

+Steve
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:31 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
the subject has given way to the next hurdle, 24p capture and timecode.
But this is not a problem with the camera actually.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 05:55 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
But this is not a problem with the camera actually.
...just the fact that 720P24 HDV is a brand-new format. Most NLE software companies are still catching up (except for Cineform.)
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 06:49 PM   #10
Major Player

That's because CineForm is awesome!
I'm gonna submit a propsal to them for the HDV Festival next year!

- ShannonRawls.com
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:13 PM   #11
Major Player

SSE - far from dead...unfortunately

Well, yesterday I was checking a US camera I was about to buy and it took me all of 5 seconds to see the SSE at 0dB. Of course, it was also there at higher gain but not necessary more pronounced. The suggested trick with changing iris didn't really get rid of it, neither did manual WB. Rather when closing the iris the 'line' began to disappear but it became replaced by a slight difference in the tonality of the two halves of the picture. The right side was darker, which brings up an interesting point; from what I have seen, all affected cameras have their right side darker, hence, the idea that the two processors (sets of) are not close enough in specs is not quite the whole story. If that was the case, some cameras would have their left side darker and other righ, quite randomly. The fact that there is (seems to be a pattern) may indicate that perhaps the automated factory calibration (if there is such a thing) is not set up properly. Or that the two sides for some reason employ different processors to accommodate additional functionality.

Anyway, lots of guessing on my part but based on the above mentioned observation. Please, feel free to enlighten me if you have other experience, more info or better understanding.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:35 AM   #12
Trustee

How long was the camera on? It normally goes away at 0db once the camera is warm.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:08 AM   #13
Major Player

It was still there after 20 minutes.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:23 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Why isn't the answer for fixing this in the way things were done in interlace video?

So we all know how the split screen effect is causes, two processors sampling the information on the chip. Half and Half and left and a right. Why not have one read every other line how things are done with interlaced video, one processor can read even lines the other odd. That way the information that is being read is never far from each other and that would eliminate the margin of error. Reading one left half and one right, at one point of the chip scan the two different processors are reading information that is on opposite sides from each other and begin so I can see how things can be calculated differently. Anyways just I tought why they didn't do it like this.
Silton Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:06 AM   #15
Major Player

Thjat wouldn't help, because it would still be read out in the same time-interval - faster then with interlaced video - and thus creating more heat....
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems