hd100 and the brhd50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:39 AM   #1
Major Player

hd100 and the brhd50

I have had the hd100 for about a month now, have no regret in buying this camera over other cams like the z1 or the upcoming pany but Im just wondering if you use the hd100 as a deck, would that wear down the tape heads?

I am starting out with my own business and this is the most serious equipment Ive purchased yet and Ive saved alot for it. I dont want it to die on me! Would it be covered under warranty?

Also would it be worth it to buy the brhd50 deck? Im waiting for the day when a deck can atleast read and record hdv 720p and 1080i and even JVCs 24p or Canons 24f atleast (wishful thinking) but maybe in the future it might happen.

Until then if I keep using my camera as a deck too, you think it would break?
Jemore Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The subject of using the camera as a playback deck tends to be a controversial one here at DV Info Net. Many people recommend strongly against this practice, but I am one of those who see no real problem with it, as long as we're not talking about eight hours per day, five days per week worth of playback.

The camera has a VCR mode. If it was not meant to be used for playback, then it would not have the VCR mode. In my opinion, as long as you're not overdoing it, using the camera for playback will have no ill effects other than tying up your camera for awhile.

The idea to hold off from buying an HDV deck until 24F/30F compatibility arrives is a good one, from my point of view. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:07 AM   #3
Major Player

To add to what Chris says; when using the camera as a deck, try not to shuffle tapes back and forth much. Just capture in bigger chunks and be done. The deck mechanism is smaller than in the dedicated deck and is not really designed to work full time as a edit suite VTR. And yes, the head use hours will be added faster... When and if you can afford it, buy the deck to relieve the camera from its edit suite duty.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:48 AM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
The subject of using the camera as a playback deck tends to be a controversial one here at DV Info Net. Many people recommend strongly against this practice, but I am one of those who see no real problem with it, as long as we're not talking about eight hours per day, five days per week worth of playback.
I go with Chris on this one. My camera has always been obsolete before I had head problems. But, if I were doing some of the big projects mentioned here -- and so had a big budget -- I'd get the deck. I really like the VTR's HDMI connector. With a Syntax 27-inch LCD that has exactly 1280x720 you get a digital transfer with NO scaling for about $800.

The reason I use Scene Detect came from my desire to simply play the tape once into the computer with no shuttling at all. Hi8 remains in memory!

I have a demo tape JVC Japan gave me that had seen lots of use and it is filled with DOs. So I think a couple of plays -- one in the field and one to capture -- is the safest way to go.

I like logging from the disk as I know I'm safe.

Also, for the price of the VTR you could almost get a backup camera.

ALSO -- you can use a under $2000 GR-HD1 HDV camcorder as a feeder -- even for 24p.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems