ordering the GY-HD100U tomorrow...i have questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 29th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ordering the GY-HD100U tomorrow...i have questions

i'm ordering the GY-HD100 tomorrow....i really want to know what's the best editing software to edit 720p 24p. i've been working with adobe premiere and final cut pro for awhile, but i've only worked with SD DV. i've heard lots of pros and cons about cineform and lumiere....so what's the best solution to editing the best quaility of 720p 24p without using all that hd-sdi (expensive) stuff?
Abel Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #2
Trustee

What software are you currently using?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #3
Wrangler

At the moment the problems aren't with quality - they are with workflow.

All the NLEs with HDV support seem to work fine with 720P30 footage.

I haven't personally used it, but on the PC side everyone seems to concur that AspectHD is the best approach for ingesting 720P24 footage.

On the Mac side, I think HDVxDV is currently the simplest way to capture sync sound footage with timecode, but it is limited in its functionality (cannot log first, then digitize or output back to HDV tape.) You can download a free trial from their website and try it out.
I've given LumiereHD 1.6b2 a few weeks of my time and have consistently been frustrated with the level of complexity and pure bugginess (plus no TC.) It is a little unfair for me to judge their forthcoming 2.0 version based on the beta, but at the moment I wish we hadn't spent the money on the beta.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
....everyone seems to concur that AspectHD is the best approach for ingesting 720P24 footage....
I do not concur with this. This is the best method if you're on Premiere Pro.

If you are on Liquid or Avid it's a completely different approach. What are you currently using for an NLE?
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Stephen, doesn't Liquid and Avid still have workflow issues with 24p HDV? Aspect HD and Prospect HD do not any issues with the 24p modes (Canon 24F support coming in about a week.) You may not favor Premiere Pro but at the moment using one of the CineForm products with Premiere Pro (or Sony Vegas) will get you a seamless 24p workflow. As Abel already uses Premiere (hopefully the PC version), this best option is a $499 upgrade to Aspect HD.
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Trustee

David,

Of course the Cineform way is valid. No disputing that. If the user already has $$$$ invested in an NLE that is not Premiere Pro (for instance Liquid or Avid) there are work arounds to get an output that is satisfactory as well. You are correct in that Liquid, FCP and Avid are still not as far along as Cineform for capturing.

If the user is on another (non Premiere Pro) NLE, we can help as well.

best,
Old November 29th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #7
Trustee

I heard the latest version of Premiere doesn't need Cineform to capture HDV. Although I'm not sure it also includes ProHD (24p).
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

For all HDV 24p work you will need Aspect HD, and for real-time work in any HD mode within Premiere Pro CineForm products are the way to go. This should remain true for sometime, although I can't comment on what Adobe may do in the future. Adobe is a good partner of CineForm's and visa versa, we complement each other well. For the common HDV modes you don't need our tools (although it can help), CineForm focuses on the filmmaker by adding the new modes like 24p (JVC) and 24F (Canon) and supporting pull-down extract and progressive processing of CineFrame modes (Sony.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems