Request quick assistance hooking to Component Devices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 30th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Request quick assistance hooking to Component Devices

Hi all.

A bit of an odd request, but it will be good knowledge for me in the end. I have recently rented my HD100 and some footage has been captured, ultimately destined for an AVID environment. They don't have the HDV capability to capture via the 1394 interface, so they're looking to capture via the component output into a Digibeta deck.

I had previously successfully recorded content on my Edius system in the YUV input on my breakout box, out of this camera (had to change the PB output settings in the menu to 'NTSC', output terminal to component, etc). That was the extent of using this camera with component outputs.

We are having difficulty viewing the component signal on a Sony monitor (RGB input) without green waving lines, seemingly with no matter how I choose different playback settings in the menu. This monitor input also has a sync input, but I didn't think that was the issue.

So - any ideas on the best way to send this camera's component outputs into the component inputs of a digibeta deck and/or Sony monitor (RGB/YUV) input channel? Seems easy - not sure what I'd be missing in the playback menu settings.

Thanks very much in advance,
Shawn
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Might have been a bad cable

This may have come down to a bad cable issue, where the deck wasn't seeing/sensing a color channel. Not sure, but we used another set and it seems to be working okay now - double-checked the menu settings as well, and got to know them a little better.

Will have to test some more to solidify the knowledge of the outputs, but we're rolling for now.

Nice to have it out for rental after all of this inital testing - first run of footage looks very nice - client is happy and excited.

Thanks again,
Shawn
Old November 30th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Wrangler

The NTSC downconvert circuit doesn't seem to apply to the component output. You can only downconvert to the composite output. Sorry.

I was also disappointed because I have a component YRB NTSC monitor that I tried hooking up, but I just got crazy scrambled noise as well. The signal is actually HD of course - whether the PB output is set to NTSC or NATIVE.

I'm not sure how you made it work on your Edius system? Was that footage shot in DV mode?
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Well this is pretty darn confusing (per your message)... Couldn't get it to work into the monitor earlier - assumed bad cables (which was true), but it eventually worked fine passing into analog component inputs of a Digibeta deck - which we monitored from the analog outs of the deck.

However, it seems to me that I tried plugging it into a Newtek VT4.5 switcher via a YUV input, and got the same scrambled mess sometime back.

Oddly, it was no problem using it with the Edius SP breakout rack I have - it was actually the only, best or temporary way I could get the system to work with 24p HD content (using the canopus HQ codec). I use the 30p footage straight over firewire or use the firestore into the timeline, and only recently started to experiment with 24p footage captured via analog. Edius will have settings soon enough.

Anyway - this is all pretty funky news - seems like I must be getting analog component output somehow. They're renting for another day to digitize tomorrow, but I'll goof around with it some more in different scenarios.

Thanks much for your post.

Shawn
Old November 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Major Player

BTW, no - only HDV footage.

I think we only tried DV footage once, just to see it work. Otherwise, it's been only HDV 30p or 24p footage (24p on this project in question).

Client is extremely happy with the footage - they're pre-depositing future rentals, until they get a messload of P2 gear.
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #6
Wrangler

Maybe I'm wrong about the component outs. If the analog inputs of the Dbeta are working (I assume you are using a DVW500A) then maybe it is some weird consumer vs professional implementation of sync on green? I really don't know. I should try plugging the output into my betacam and see what happens.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #7
Major Player

I tried quickly popping it into a regular beta deck (1800) as well. It seemed to work fine, although I didn't have an input reference hooked up, so I was only getting half screen images - but full color. Can't remember the digibeta deck model, but I know it had analog component inputs that we used.

I'll goof with this when I get it back. Seems to work here and there...

Nice speaking with you and thanks,
Shawn
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems