Anyone using the HD100 with SteadyCam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 1st, 2005, 05:17 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone using the HD100 with SteadyCam?

I was wondering which SteadyCam systems works well with the HD100.
I guess the SteadyCamJR is a bit small to be used?
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 09:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Most likely. It's even too small for cameras like DSR170 and Z1U, especially if you add any accessories like wide angle or wireless microphone receiver.
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:14 AM   #3
Wrangler

Of the Tiffen models, the Flyer would be the optimal way to go.
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:56 PM   #4
Major Player

I will be using my HD100U with my Glidecam once I assembly it and learn a few tricks.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the info.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:00 PM   #6
New Boot

Got it to work on a system with the PRO arm, just using the lightest springs and adding a kilo or so of weight on the camera (batt pack), but I supposse the Provis and SK's would do well.

Jose
Jose L. Martínez Díaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

We assemble and test the JVC HD100/Micro35 & the Magiqcam IIp.

Taken that the JVC guzzles more fuel than desired, we had it powered by the IDX switronix batteries. Which add some (alot) of weight to the top and rear. We also use the aladin follow focus unit, which adds weight in the front.

With the added weight of the shims for the redrock micro, the rig got very top heavy.

So we eliminated the metal bar where the quick release plate goes. And instead of adding all the shims...we used one of the smallest shims that REdRock sells.

We had Karl at Cinetech lighten the rig for us and took a bunch of unnecessary weight of the camera such as the viewfinder (which you don't use on a rig) the ear piece.

All in all, it's a nice rig.

AFter using the rig for awhile we learn alot. We learn why the steadicam operators are worth their weight in gold. We learn we should take a steadicam workshop. We learn how to modify the gear to our specs.

Right now...we are looking to get a "wormgear" that can move the camera x-y and for/aft without moving too many component. If we can't, I think we'll try to customize.

Charles....you have any suggestion on the worm gear?
Jun Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:33 AM   #8
Wrangler

The worm gear is a pretty sophisticated piece of engineering Jun. I would recommend trying to work with the Bogen quick release if you can.

Your camera battery belongs at the bottom of the rig, double-dutying as the monitor power source. There's no point in flying two batteries if you are trying to save weight. And it's a shame to have to strip the camera down so far as it will slow you down when switching between Steadicam and conventional shooting modes. I can't remember if the current Magiqcam has internal wiring of power and video at this point (?) but if not, that would well be worth adding to your rig, just use a fat gauge of curly wire for the power cable to accomodate the potential voltage drop over that distance. Certainly you will be finding the camera front heavy at that point, but if you absolutely cannot balance it at that point, consider making an intermediate plate between the camera and the quick release (or having an extra long quick release plate made up).

As you've seen, having quick and subtle fingertip control of fore and aft is absolutely critical (it's important to have it for side to side balance as well). Steadicam operators check trim before each shot to make sure things haven't shifted (often the case when resting the rig on the shoulder), and will also trim the fore-and-aft for the individual shot. I've long been horrified at the Glidecam loosen-4-screws-and-shove-the-plate-forward method for fore and aft adjustment, something I stressed with John at Animagique.
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
The worm gear is a pretty sophisticated piece of engineering Jun. I would recommend trying to work with the Bogen quick release if you can.

I've long been horrified at the Glidecam loosen-4-screws-and-shove-the-plate-forward method for fore and aft adjustment, something I stressed with John at Animagique.
Chas,

You might want to look around for a used semiconductor equipment vendor. Most of the scopes used in the fab have an X-Y moveable stage riding on a bearing rail and moved via a knurled knob attached to a wormgear. A friction lock is usually employed to keep the stage from moving under the scope lens.

Obviously, this would require some adaptation engineering but you probably have folks that could help you with that.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert

I've long been horrified at the Glidecam loosen-4-screws-and-shove-the-plate-forward method for fore and aft adjustment, something I stressed with John at Animagique.

Yes...I called steadicam and they said "off the top of their head" that it might cost around $1000.

We currently have a quick release bogen plate on it that comes with Magiqcam and another that comes with the 35mm adapter. We just want something to move it in increments without adding too many plates and raising the camera.

Hopefully John sees the post and improves on it.

As far as the battery, we just didn't have time to modify everything we needed. There was only two guys in camera department and we had to take care of the follow - with very short amount of time....

a) modify the Magiqcam (me)
b) learn to rack focus with Wireless Follow focus unit (me)
c) one had to calibrate and focus on the 35mm unit (which was me)
d) gear the Nikon lenses (me)
e) many other things I can't remember as I am typing this.

I didn't mean to make the other camera guy out as irresponsible...he was swamped with the things he had to do...finding adapters...etc

When we finally get the rig to the way we want...I'll see if we can post any pictures.
Jun Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 08:30 AM   #11
Major Player

Just got the Flyer

Just got the flyer yesterday and highly recommend. It's an incredible bit of kit.
Worth taking even a demo if you get the chance.

Happy flying Greg corke

Last edited by Greg Corke; December 22nd, 2005 at 10:27 AM.
Greg Corke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems