Loose Iris ring: normal? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 1st, 2005, 11:26 AM   #1
Trustee

Loose Iris ring: normal?

Hi.

I just got my GYHD100 and the iris rings seem to have just a bit "play" or slack. Is this normal or should I ask for a repair?

Thanks in advance.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:43 AM   #2
Wrangler

If you set a stop and then shake or bump the camera, does it move?
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:31 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
If you set a stop and then shake or bump the camera, does it move?
No, but when I grab the ring it has a little bit of play in both directions while the focus or zoom rings are nice and tight.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have this on the HD-251, the ring is very sensitive! If I touch the ring very softly the image changes... is this normal?
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, that's quite normal. I've had it with my Fujinon 2/3" lens on DSR500 and the stock Fujinon on the HD100 is the same. There is a little 'give', perhaps a third of a stop or so. I am not sure why but I have seen it with other cameras and their lenses too.
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Major Player

It is normal to have a slack on the iris ring, it is not as tight as the focus one. It happens on fujinon, canon or any other. Anyway you should compare it with another lens to make sure the slack is ok.

About the sensitive ring, I don't think that's quite normal. It shouldn't move with a simple touch... or maybe you have strong fingers. One thing I like about fujinon lenses is that they're not so sensible to touches as canons, the focus ring on canon lenses is to sensible and sometimes you unfocus without intention. It happens to me sometimes...
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Wow, nice year-old thread we've got here. But I'll just chip in and say, it's pretty universal on cheaper broadcast lenses.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
About the sensitive ring, I don't think that's quite normal. It shouldn't move with a simple touch... or maybe you have strong fingers. One thing I like about fujinon lenses is that they're not so sensible to touches as canons, the focus ring on canon lenses is to sensible and sometimes you unfocus without intention. It happens to me sometimes...
A simple gentle touch is enough to change the F value!
So I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and let you know what they have to say about this.
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems