The difference between 720p hdv and dvcPro HD??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #16
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell
So if I'm reading you correctly Cineform relies more on the power of the processor for the max resolution etc?
Yes. CineForm compression is software based. For the higher resolutions more CPU work is required, yet for 1920x1080 4:2:2 10-bit is a real-time compressor on an inexpensive dual Opteron system.
Old December 14th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
You'd need to compare the uncompressed frame's, not the compressed datarate to be more accurate.
Really? I assumed that, if you were capturing from tape (i.e. compressed), the most accurate calculation for your project's drive-space needs would be derived from the compressed data rate. The uncompressed data rate would only give you accurate information if you were actually capturing uncompressed data by bypassing tape and coing directly to disk. Or am I missing something?

Quote:
Dropout's have not been a problem when sticking to the same tape stock. I have not seen any complaints about dropout's. Have you guys?
The guys at B&H in New York were saying that they'd heard about problems from folks who had used standard, consumer grade MiniDV stock. Of course, they were busy offering me Sony's PHDVM-63DM stock for $20 a pop, but I trust that this was real feedback, and not just a hard-sell scare tactic. Also, if you're working with a camera from a rental house, you really have no way of knowing what's been through it.

Quote:
This depends on the NLE. Liquid is a frame accurate Native HDV NLE. Also there are other solutions that transcode to intermediate codecs that are frame accurate as well.
Can these intermediate codecs be written to HDV tape? I realize it isn't the ideal archival format, but if it what's available...
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Fcp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Very impressive. Are you able to say if there are any plans to make the codec available for FCP users?
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bowles
Really? I assumed that, if you were capturing from tape (i.e. compressed), the most accurate calculation for your project's drive-space needs would be derived from the compressed data rate. The uncompressed data rate would only give you accurate information if you were actually capturing uncompressed data by bypassing tape and coing directly to disk. Or am I missing something?
There are so many workflows Alex. I listed the three possible ones I work in (on the other post): (MPEG2 (MP@ML), RGB (AVI), 2VUY (uncompressed). The uncompressed method gives the best results but it EATS drive space. That's the tradeoff. I've been working on a film transfer project in uncompressed and the results are WOW! Uncompressed HDV JVCProHD 1280x720 TGA is 3.51MB per frame. For broadcast I'd never work in uncompressed and I stick to the MP@HL workflow.

Quote:
The guys at B&H in New York were saying that they'd heard about problems from folks who had used standard, consumer grade MiniDV stock. Of course, they were busy offering me Sony's PHDVM-63DM stock for $20 a pop, but I trust that this was real feedback, and not just a hard-sell scare tactic. Also, if you're working with a camera from a rental house, you really have no way of knowing what's been through it.
There has been some discussion about tape stock. I recommend only using JVC tapes in a JVC. You can also use Panasonic tape in a JVC camera without issue. They try to push the Sony tape but it is not good for a JVC or Panasonic camera. There is another thread around here on the subject of tape stock. It's the difference between wet and dry tape.

Quote:
Can these intermediate codecs be written to HDV tape? I realize it isn't the ideal archival format, but if it what's available...
You can not record any other codec to the camera's tape drive other than the hardwired codec in the camera itself, however, you can use the component out's on the HD-100 to feed any other system that will accept it's signal. Other's can weigh in on intermediate codecs more than me.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems