Filters for HD100U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #16
Major Player

So if I use the filters I don't need to use the internal HD100U filter, correct? And if I assume correctly I will get a better picture.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #17
Major Player

Really it is not an issue of "instead of", it is "in addition of" the biult in, if needed. However, I would put first the polarizer, then add the additional ND needed to achieve your desired footage look. I totally agree that the polarizer will provide you with a deeper blue skies footage in a very sunny situation as you are describing.

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
I recommend the .6 and the .9 ND filters and a polarizer. Be careful in the sun because the camera will resolve the filter pattern if you do not use a matte box.

Like this: Click

What kind of filter was that? Polarizers and NDs should have no pattern whatsoever. This looks more like a black net, which won't work well on small CCD cameras.
Old December 10th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #19
Wrangler

Oh, and by the way, if you are shopping for Polarizer filters you may notice "linear" and "circular" types. I know alot of DV and SLR shooters say go "circular" so it doesn't interfere with the autofocus,(which isn't a concern with the HD100) but personally I would never use a circular polarizer. If you want control, always go with linear if you can.

Linear polarizers allow you to rotate the filter in the matte box to adjust the amount of polarization. This is useful if you want to darken the sky just a little bit, you can rotate it until it looks good to you.
It is also useful if you are using the polarizer to control reflections in glass. You can even "rack" the reflection in and out. It is one of the best multi-purpose filters.
Old December 10th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #20
Major Player

Schneider Filters have the one Tim is talking about. It is the same I use and is so versatile! You rotate it without the need of removing it from the matte box depending on the situation. Great observation and advise, Tim.

Luis
Old December 10th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
What kind of filter was that? Polarizers and NDs should have no pattern whatsoever. This looks more like a black net, which won't work well on small CCD cameras.
I don't know. I wasn't on the camera that day. There were at variety of filters tried (just to see what they'd do).
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #22
Regular Crew

So you guys would recommend using a Polarizer filter all the time? and also what are some good brands?
Sean Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #23
Major Player

Again, if you are using a matte box, Schneider Filters have the one Tim is talking about. BTW, I do not use it all the time, just when neeeded (high light levels, water in the shot, glass in the shot, basically anything that can have a high reflection of light).

Luis
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #24
Trustee

Right, polarizer to cut reflected glare and Neutral Density filter to cut the amount of light coming into the lens. I use Tiffen but am not opposed to any brand.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #25
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Livingstone
So you guys would recommend using a Polarizer filter all the time?
A polarizer can work magic on your footage, but it's not a no-brainer type of thing -- you have to know how it works, and when it works, and when it won't work.

Polarizers work only against polarized light -- such as sunlight. So outdoors, a polarizer can have a great effect on your footage -- cutting glare and reflections, really drawing out some deep saturated colors in leaves and grass, and darkening blue skies.

Or, it may have no effect at all.

Or worse, depending on your shot, it may have both effects!

See, a polarizer's effectiveness varies depending on what angle it is to the sun. At 90 degrees to the sun a polarizer will have the most effect, at 0 degrees (straight into the sun) or 180 degrees (sun at your back) it will have no effect at all. So depending on how you plan your shots, you may end up with shots that don't match well at all. And, if you're executing a panning shot, you may find that the polarizer's effect varies through the shot! That can be distracting and ugly.

So -- know what it does, know when it does it, and know how to get the best from it, and a polarizer will be one of the most valuable filters in your kit.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems