prohd timecode issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 11th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

prohd timecode issues

I have a real problem with capturing a tape i shot with my gy-101e.
After returning from a 3 week shoot to the edit suite i have 1 tape out of 30 which refuses to co-operate with Final cut pro 5 . (by the way we shot 30p so capture isnt an issue...)
When the tape is captured using capture now i get around 400 clips for 1 interview which lasts about 20 minutes.
After a bit of thought i either put this down to one dud tape or something dirty on my record heads.
Problem is i really need to capture this tape. When played back on either the camera or deck the vision and sound is fine but try to log it (any way at all) and fcp doesnt wanna know about it.
SO, i did a dub using a new blank tape onto the jvc deck that compliments the camera (cant remember model number brd-50?) hoping that it would give me a new timecode....... no such luck. Dropouts still there but in completely different places????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Can anyone tell me how to make a new timecode on minidv/ prohd tape. Is it necessary to black an entire tape then record over that? Is it true that timecode can only be written on mini dv tape once?
If thats the case then ok, i'll try again but why did the dropouts occur in different places when i dubbed onto a brand new blank tape?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Craig D
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Major Player

It seems to me that I read this post already...cross-posting?

To some answers:
Try pre-blacking the new tape (the full length of your footage - 20 minutes?) before making the dub. Normally you shouldn't have to do the whole tape but in this case I would. And no, it's not true that you cannot make new TC on DV tapes. You should be able to so.

If everything else fails, try to bring the tape to a professional post production facility. They could put it on DVCAM, which is a bit more robust and will play back from the BR50.

Keep us posted, there are other things that we could try to make this work.
Old December 12th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah i was cross posting..... just spreading my feelers, so to say...

Was also wondering whether the gy-101e can out put a dv signal. Perhaps i could do a dub to DV from 720p HDV with a pre blacked tape? Reason i want to do that is that i have a sony DV recorder / player but not the jvc brhd - 50...

Any ideas...?
Old December 14th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
Yeah i was cross posting..... just spreading my feelers, so to say...

Was also wondering whether the gy-101e can out put a dv signal. Perhaps i could do a dub to DV from 720p HDV with a pre blacked tape? Reason i want to do that is that i have a sony DV recorder / player but not the jvc brhd - 50...

Any ideas...?
Craig - you shot 720P30? -I'll have a shot at it on the Avid if you like - I have succesfully digitised this footage straight from the camera before.

PM if I can help. My office is in Willoughby.

BTW _ you can't output DV from an HDV source on the 100U/101E
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I tried again with a blacked tape ..... still no joy.
Drop outs in exactly the same places on new timecoded tape.
Was about to headbut the wall when i saw the little imovie icon at the bottom of my screen...... and imovie supports HD

Result....... problem solved. The simple things eh?!

Still would love to know why FCP 5 cant ignore TC breaks even when it asks you if you want it to?
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #6
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
I tried again with a blacked tape ..... still no joy.
Drop outs in exactly the same places on new timecoded tape.
Was about to headbut the wall when i saw the little imovie icon at the bottom of my screen...... and imovie supports HD

Result....... problem solved. The simple things eh?!

Still would love to know why FCP 5 cant ignore TC breaks even when it asks you if you want it to?
So Crai were these real timecode breaks? If not, perhaps you had scene detection turned on? That would explain the multiple clips.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems