Is it just me, or does this camera seem to have problems? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Closed Thread

Old December 20th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Is it just me, or does this camera seem to have problems?

I come here now and then to read up on some of the posts about the HD100 because I like JVC and their products, however all I seem to read in here is about the problems and issues the HD100 camera having.

Dead Pixels? Workarounds? Split Screens? Chromatic Aberrations? Poor lens? bad batteries?....my god!

People are sending them back and stuff......people are doing 'workarounds' to shoot a project... you gotta spend major $MONEY$ just to put it on a tripod?? What's up with having to spend an additional $800 bucks on a new battery setup just to make it stay powered on for over an hour???

I mean, gee wiz guys. DEAD PIXELS??? I read somehwere that the camera is having dead pixel problems or whatnot and that you have to HACK into the software to mask it off or something. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???? You have to be a rocket scientist and a computer programmer just to patch up the problems and get a decent picture??

What's up with "WAITING FOR YOUR CAMERA TO WARM UP" before you can go shooting?? ... I'm sorry, but I gotta laugh at that. Is this a Modern Technology High Definition Video Camera or a 1982 Dodge Ram Van??

And the 720p resolution is another thing. All these posts on how it apparently 'measures up' to 1080p. LOL I mean dude, c'mon. This reminds me of the days I used to Street Race in San Fernando Valley, and these Asian kids would constantly challenge me to a 1/4 mile drag with their souped up Honda Civics with drag slicks on their front wheels (lol) trying to race my Paxton powered Mustang Saleen. Yea, the Civic was fast...But it AINT THE SAME!!!

I mean, talk to me guys. How do you feel about that. I know how I would!

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #2
Major Player

a matter of opinion

Hello Mate,

Well I have one dead pixel in the corner of my 101. have not seen any evidence of split screen. CA does not seem as frightful as everyone is making out. Bottom line, I was blown away with test footage I shot and played back on my hi def tv. I think we've gotta remember this is approx 4000 pound camera not 40,000. I really wasn't expecting the kind of look this camera can acieve for this money. Okay there are flaws but as a device to enable indie/low end film making these flaws, in my opinoin ARE workable. Some people just prefer the interlaced thing. For them it is a tough pill to chew but does that mean this cameras no good? After all Bruegel and Titian painted completely different pictures.

Happy shooting, Greg.
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #3
Major Player

I am VERY happy with my camera. No issues so far. Footage looks great! Don't use the 18+ gain so I don't have SSE problems.
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

No Problems

I've had no problems at all. I've never seen a split screen. My lens seems to be fine. The camera also makes stunning images in SD. I've been getting about an hour and a half out of a battery. I acutally like the small ones because they are very easy to carry when traveling.

From a business perspective, my clients have been nothing but thrilled. Isn't that what's most important?

I am not expecting perfection in this price range, and have not experienced a level of limitation that is any different than an XL-1, or DVX-100 as far as workarounds or compromises are concerend.

For digital cinematography, it's a great value if you're trying to achieve a film look. Is this such an important topic to explore? If you have someone who is reallly talented use a Sony, Canon, or JVC you'll get great footage no matter what.
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #5
Wrangler

Shannon it's considered a "Pro" camera. When you buy a pro camera from Sony, Panasonic, Ikegami or JVC it does not come with a lens or power system. The owner/production house/broadcaster decides what power system (Sony V, Anton Bauer, or Pag) will work best for them and then they buy that. The same goes for adapter plates. No pro camera comes with the adapter plate, you buy it separate from the body. Most shooters I know buy one and hold it over when they buy a new camera.
That's just the way it is.
BTW, all CCD cameras, including Sony's new XDCAM cameras, have some form of pixel burn-out. It is normal. I was just talking with someone at a major video rental house the other day about their disappointment with how many times they have had to mask pixels on XDCAM over the last 6 months. They were a little worried that the memory might "fill up" soon.
Masking pixels does not require a "hack." It is a system function in a service menu just like on all professional cameras. It happens - be glad there is a simple 30 second feature to mask them.

Now onto the cheap Fuji lens: Could you imagine how terribly the camera would have sold at the price point if it hadn't had a lens. At least JVC threw in a lens to appease the "consumer" marketplace - and this is probably where the confusion lies - since the camera is priced in-between.

The "consumer" end of the market considers the HD100 an expensive camera that doesn't live up to the "high cost" because they aren't used to the idea that you need to purchase a battery system and adapter plate. The "pro" market considers it a "cheap" 1/3" HD camera that shoots HD, (a considerable value) but it is "only HDV." However useful as a "B" camera or crash cam for HD production.

I think this camera fits well somewhere inbetween for a sector of filmmakers who are technically competent professionals, used to working with pro gear on other people's larger productions, who don't want to use fixed lens pro-consumer systems like the Z1, don't like the crazy ergonomics of the XLH1, but can't afford to even rent a Sony F900 or Varicam to make their own independent film.
I think JVC actively targeted this untapped sector and tailored the camera to it. Just look at ProHd brochure with the photos of the "recently graduated from film-school" looking model holding the camera!
Of course JVC is benefitting greatly from the amateur filmmakers who aspire to shoot will better tools and have more control. Those who have become very proficient with cameras like the DVX100 and want to take the next step up to HD, interchangable lenses, extensive image control, and progessive scan. There is no other camera in this price range that can offer all of those things. Only the XLH1 comes close - but not progressive.

So I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from Shannon. You own the XLH1, Z1, DVX100A, XL1s, TRV17 all of which probably worked for you well out-of-the-box, but didn't you have to purchase the tripod plate, power system and lens for your DV500 as well?
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
didn't you have to purchase the tripod plate, power system and lens for your DV500 as well?
Ok, I feel ya Tim. And no, the Tripod plate came with my DV500, so did a Fujinon lens. But they did make me fork over another $800 bucks for the battery system, and I spent $750 for the black & white CRT monitor.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 20th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Wrangler

And I forgot to mention that IMHO the SSE issue is a big black mark for JVC - at least the way it has been portrayed in the forums. However, personally, it has not affected my shooting at all - and I just finished a two day shoot of almost all nighttime scenes against the dark night sky or dark alleyways. I always keep an eye out for it, but it just doesn't show up for me unless I'm trying to induce it in a controlled scientific way.
Old December 20th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

You just don't know

I have not had any problems with my camera, I like it more than my Sony Z1U, the thing is you gotta be a good DP, and know your stuff to get the best out of the HD100, where as my Z1U, design more to shoot on the go! If you love lighting your scenes and getting very artisitic, HD100 is 4 u, if your a bit lazy and don't know lighting, get the Z1U it'll make your life easier...
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Taking the Bait!

Hey Guys,

Shannon just likes to shake things up a little. No need to defend your choices, you don't see any JVC stuff in his equipment do you? Relax and enjoy your cameras.

Mike
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

No it's not perfect, but given the current HDV offerings, the JVC provides the best balance of features, usability, business friendliness, and value.

Sony Z1 - Compression issues, no 24P

Canon - Pricey, horrible front heavy ergonomics, no deck, no 24P.

Panasonic P2 - Very Pricey, limited recording time, workflow-archival issues, and at the end of a shoot what do you hand your client, your P2 card? When do you get it back? And what if you need it for another job the next day?

JVC - Fantasic film-like image quality, record hours of material with ease, easy to archive, business friendly (just give your client the tape), Priced right, 24P, Inexpensive deck with great down-convert options.
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #11
Major Player

Yeah, its an intentionally provocative post all right - a bit of christmas fire cracker?

Reality for me: many excellent shoots thus far. No dead pixels, SSE not a problem, CA not a problem.

I carefully considered the JVC after shooting with the Sony and decided in its favour - no regrets. I personally dont like that really slick interlaced look. The progressive scan image is what I was after.

Cheers and everyone have a good christmas break!

Rob
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #12
Major Player

Back up

Hi guys,
Nice to see some back up. Its seems I'm not the only one willing to defend the hd100 even with its minor imperfections. Great camera.

Cheers everyone and Merry Christmas Greg

P.S. Anyone know how you actually start a thread round here?
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Corke
Hi guys,
Nice to see some back up. Its seems I'm not the only one willing to defend the hd100 even with its minor imperfections. Great camera.

Cheers everyone and Merry Christmas Greg

P.S. Anyone know how you actually start a thread round here?
Just go to the specific forum you wish to post to, such a, JVC GY-HD100,
and at the top is a tab for post new thread!

Mike
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #14
Major Player

ola

Hi Mike,
Thanks. However when I put the cursoer over thread starter it wont highlight and I can't seem to click it either, what am I doing wrong?

All the best Greg
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Corke
Hi Mike,
Thanks. However when I put the cursoer over thread starter it wont highlight and I can't seem to click it either, what am I doing wrong?

All the best Greg
Sorry, works fine for me, I just checked. Make sure you are on the tab that says new thread, not thread starter. Don't know why you are having the problem. Keep trying though!

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems