Nikon adapter for HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Barry Wan Kenobi

Nikon adapter for HD100

Hey all, Les Bosher just updated me -- he now offers a Nikon adapter for the HD100! For 140 UK Pounds, you can now use Nikon lenses on your HD100.

If you don't know who Les is, he's a master camera/optics craftsman in Wales, UK, who builds lens mounts and does conversions on cameras. I had him do some work on my Konvas 35mm camera and the results so far exceeded my expectations that I've been a big fan of his ever since.

His website is http://lesbosher.co.uk.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

it will still have the 7.2 multipling factor right?
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 05:04 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yes, and no. It will be mm for mm. So it will deliver the field of view that you would expect a lens of that mm to deliver on a 1/3" video camera. For example: the HD100's stock lens has a maximum telephoto of 88mm. If you put an 85mm Nikon lens on, it would give you about the same field of view as the HD100 lens at full telephoto. If you set the HD100 to 50mm, it will give you the same field of view as if you mounted a 50mm Nikon, etc.

It will not give you the field of view of a 35mm camera, but then again, the HD100 isn't a 35mm camera.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 08:33 PM   #4
Major Player

interesting

hi barry,

does this mean we could use this mount to achieve a slightly wider angle i.e. going slightly under the current widest angle on the existing lens, I guess it would, Is this right? if so i Imagine this is going to be a much cheaper option than going for the other fujinon. Also, does this mean you could do a like for like swap fujinon tele for nikon tele and avoid potential CA?

Regards Greg Corke
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 08:42 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

No, this wouldn't really do anything for wide-angle capability. I mean, the wide angle on the existing lens is 5.5mm, right? I think the widest Nikon-mount lens is probably somewhere about 12mm or 14mm... so no, it's not going to do anything for wider angles. It would certainly provide substantially more telephoto reach though.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Point taken

Thanks barry my mistake. Kinda obvious now you mention it. What about the like for like to avoid chromatic aberation in the stock lens?

Greg.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Obviously that would be something to test with each lens. But the earlier posts on this forum from the Tamron lens would certainly lead me to expect that chromatic aberration performance would probably be significantly improved; but again, it depends on the lens used.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 01:33 AM   #8
Major Player

As you would be using the sweetest spot of the 35m lens, you should get some excellent performance from a Pro Nikon lens.

As a 1/3" sensor is still much smaller than a Nikon DX sensor you should also be able to use the DX lens range.

However I am not sure how G lens (no aperture ring) would work, they'd probably be stuck open at their largest aperture (like F2.8) all the time.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 02:01 AM   #9
Major Player

interesting

Thanks Guys,

I guess that is something to keep mind for the furture. I noticed some chromatic aberation on some test stuff I did recently. It doesn't bother me too much at the moment but if it started to I guess this adapter gives you a chance to sort it out without getting into high four figures.

Bye for now, Greg
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #10
New Boot

Please explain further.

does this lens mount to the existing HD100 lens? If so and if it retains the mm for mm equvalent of the zoom range you set in the HD100 lens, then what does it add? deos it shorten the depth of focus?
What happens if you put a 35 mm zoom lens on your HD 100 zoom lens? Now I am really confused.
Larry
Lawrence Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Feeley
does this lens mount to the existing HD100 lens? If so and if it retains the mm for mm equvalent of the zoom range you set in the HD100 lens, then what does it add? deos it shorten the depth of focus?
What happens if you put a 35 mm zoom lens on your HD 100 zoom lens? Now I am really confused.
Larry
A nikon lens mount would open up the possibility of using high quality glass that you may already own for your Nikon. This would also give you access to longer focal lengths like 300mm. A 300mm on the HD100 would be super-telephoto!

Also, it would allow the use of specialized still-photo devices like lens-babies.

As well, if you are building your own version of the mini35, a nikon mount might allow you to use a macro or prime lens as a relay lens for the device.
I've been experimenting with this idea using a C-mount I had an machinist make for me.
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #12
New Boot

Makes sense Tim,

but I am still confused as to if this mount attaches to the front of my fujinon lens or if it mount to the HD100 body.

Also I see lots of talk from people interested in it but noone has ever reported back after trying it to say if the combination of the Nikon primes and this adapter produce good video on the HD100.
Lawrence Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
but I am still confused as to if this mount attaches to the front of my fujinon lens or if it mount to the HD100 body.
It attaches to the body so that the 1/3" bayonet becomes Nikon. You don't use the 1/3" lens at all.

Quote:
Also I see lots of talk from people interested in it but noone has ever reported back after trying it to say if the combination of the Nikon primes and this adapter produce good video on the HD100.
Actually,
Yusuf Thakur
used it almost 6 months ago to shoot a wildlife doc.

Check out:
http://www.itp.net/business/features...gory=broadcast
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #14
Regular Crew

You would remove the lens from the HD100, attach this adaptor to the HD100 and then mount your Nikon lens to the adaptor. This does not mount on to an existing lens.

EDIT: The two Tim's have some timing... ;)
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #15
New Boot

Thank you!

Has anyone here bough this adapter?
Can you tell me if you like it and if it is giving that shallow focus and how your nikon lenses changed you rlight requirement?
Please
Thanks again for the fast responses.
Lawrence Feeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems