DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Still having motion blur problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/56675-still-having-motion-blur-problems.html)

Brian Duke December 22nd, 2005 10:49 PM

Still having motion blur problems

Anone can help me getting rid of the motion blur when I pan and tilt using either the tripod head or job etc. I'm getting the "video blur" when I pan sometimes. I even tried to set the shutter higher to see if that worked, but to no avail.

Please help. I hate seeing shots looking like video.. =(

Tim Dashwood December 22nd, 2005 11:21 PM

Is motion smooth turned on?

Brian Duke December 23rd, 2005 03:19 AM

Yes it is turned on.

Should it be off? and if so, why, and when should it be off? and when shopuld it be used and on?

Any insights?

PS> How is your project going?

Tim Dashwood December 23rd, 2005 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Yes it is turned on.

Should it be off? and if so, why, and when should it be off? and when shopuld it be used and on?

It should be off. It defeats the purpose of shooting progressive in the first place. Every frame will have a trailing and leading edge created from intermediate sampled frames when it is turned on. This can be perceived as extra motion blur - but what's the point? If you want the video look, shoot on a Z1!

Personally, I would never turn it on, but that it a subjective opinion based on the fact that I purchased the HD100 to emulate the look of film and nothing else. I don't use 720P30, I don't use a 1/24th shutter, and I don't use motion smooth.

BTW, has anyone watched the trailer for "Miami Vice?" It looks like Michael Mann is using slow-shutter again to gain an extra stop in sensitivity, just like they did in Collateral. So now we have another big budget feature film that has the streaky tell-tale "video" look.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/miamivice/

Quote:

PS> How is your project going?

I'm working on multiple projects, and they are going well. I just shot 3 hours of material for a 90 second trailer on the weekend. It's for a feature project seeking funding. I'll see if I can get permission to upload some m2t.

Brian Duke December 23rd, 2005 04:24 PM

Like yourself, my sole purpose for getting the HD100U was for getting Film Look material, not video, so I will be shutting of the motion smooth for good =)

Also, do you know how to adjust color bars on a monitor to get accurate colors? I just got the new HD Marshall monitor for the HD100U and I want to adjust the colors correctly.

Thanks Tim... When can we see some of your recent material?

Tim Dashwood December 24th, 2005 09:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks Tim... When can we see some of your recent material?

Brian,

Add your email address to your profile and I might send you something.

Greg Corke December 25th, 2005 04:09 PM

double clocked

A question for Tim,

In the other post about strobing you said the live output is double clocked which gives an incorrect guide as to what is recorded to tape. However you said this also has its advantages. I was just curious as to what these advantages are.

Regards Greg C.

Brian Duke December 25th, 2005 05:52 PM

Tim I changed it. I never had it for some reason. I do now. You can always contact me at duke@superbadmusic.com

Manny Rodriguez December 26th, 2005 01:05 AM

Calibrating My Monitor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Brian,

Add your email address to your profile and I might send you something.

hi tim you think you can send me the information for calibrating a monitor? thanks. by the way you have a great reel.

Manny

Greg Corke December 26th, 2005 04:06 AM

my strobing here today gonr tomorrow

Hi Brian,

I also noticed strobing with some footage I shot a couple of days ago. However ,I watched the same footage back today and the stobing was not nearly as bad as I remembered it? In fact it seems like it is hardly there at all. I am wondering if strobing is also perceptual? i.e. if we bring our attention towards it it will seem more intense or maybe I've lost the old plot, what do you guys think.

Regards Greg C (slowly going gah gah)

P.S. Strobing also seems more prominent in low light situations does this sound right?

Nate Weaver December 26th, 2005 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Corke
I am wondering if strobing is also perceptual? i.e. if we bring our attention towards it it will seem more intense

This is absolutely the case. People find it most of the time because they go looking for it.

Greg Corke December 26th, 2005 09:56 AM

and low light?

Sorry to bug you guys again but i was just wondering. nate said that 'yes strobing can be perceptual', but Nate, is low light also an issue i.e. is it a combination of these two factors or is light not an issue?

Cheers, Greg C.

Brian Duke December 26th, 2005 10:39 AM

Actually I didn't start noticing it until I began editing in FCP. Unles the camera movement went very slow I got motion blur, but then again the motion smooth was on. I will shoot some stuff with it on and off to see the difference.

Tim Dashwood December 26th, 2005 10:39 AM

For Manny & Brian,

Check out this article on how to calibrate broadcast monitors.

http://www.execulink.com/~impact/bmonitor.htm

Stephen L. Noe December 26th, 2005 11:08 AM

Also you can use the THX routine on a television/flat panel in addition to a broadcast monitor. It's a good idea to get some blue glasses and the THX routine on DVD. In that case you can use any monitor that has the appropriate controls to achieve balance to view your work.