What questions should be in an HD100 FAQ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 1st, 2006, 12:58 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I didn't read every item listed here so stop me if someone already said this:

Q: How do I access the setup menus on the HD100U?

A: You have to hold the round menu button for a couple of seconds instead of just tapping it.

I used the camera twice before I figured this out, and it darn near drove me nuts. I'm sure it's in the manual somewhere, but if you're in a hurry it's not an intuitively obvious step.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 01:43 PM   #17
Wrangler

That's a good point for users new to pro cameras. I honestly can say I never thought about it because I always did find it intuitive, probably because of my pro camera experience.

This reminds me of when I bought my grandparents an imac a couple of years ago. They had NEVER used a computer before. The closest they ever came was an electric typewriter.
I showed them how to click on the "mail" icon to read their email, the photo icon to watch photos I had loaded in there. I thought "wow," this is going to be so easy for them because they won't have to worry about viruses or anything.
Everything seemed to be fine until they took over and kept looking down at the mouse everytime they moved it. They just couldn't move that mouse without looking at it, and then they'd look back at the screen and have no idea where the pointer was!
It drove me nuts... they have no problem comprehending the OS, applications, folder heirarchy, or even the internet, but they still can't use a mouse properly - and that doesn't even include click & drag.

The point of the story is that maybe we should have a 'beginners' area in the FAQ that addresses issues that many of us take for granted. Stuff like +48V phantom power, aperture, manual/servo zoom, or maybe even the location of the VTR button. Thoughts?
Old August 1st, 2006, 01:59 PM   #18
Capt. Quirk

The switch, knobs, and buttons are fairly easy to find. Figuring them out is a different story. Like pressing the menu button increases the info in the VF, or turns them off altogether. I still haven't figured out how to use the user buttons though, and the manual isn't always clear to me- in English or Japanese.
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:12 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I agree, I just use the #1 user button for bars.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:08 PM   #20
New Boot

Hdv 480 Sd

The HDV SD60P recording option throws me. Does the SD mean Standard Def?
Michael J. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:06 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Moore
The HDV SD60P recording option throws me. Does the SD mean Standard Def?
yes it stands for standard def but it's standard def in the hdv codec (container). So it'll give you a 4.2.0 color sampling which is better if you're outputting to dvd, as opposed to dvd 4.1.1.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems