IEEE 1394 HDV Output Failure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:59 AM   #1
New Boot

IEEE 1394 HDV Output Failure

I emailed this to JVC last week:

"I recently purchased a GY-HD100U (sn# 13030599) from B&H. After upgrading
my Avid Xpress Pro software to their latest HD version (which at this time only
supports 720p 29.97fps), I attempted to capture footage shot in HDV @ 720p
30fps. My computer is running Windows XP Pro w/SP2 (Pentium IV 3.4 Ghz,
2.5 Gigs DDR2 RAM, Quadro FX 1300 Graphics Card).
With the camera connected to the firewire port on the computer (either the on-board port on the Intel board or my after market NEC card) and the
camera's IEEE 1394 switch already in HDV position, I first turn on the computer, then turn on the camera. The computer won't recognize the camera. If, in any procedural order, I flip the IEEE 1394 switch on the camera to DV, the computer immediately recognizes the device. I've searched the Avid forums extensively with no luck. I've searched the Microsoft site with no luck (since, if the camera is working properly, the problem exists at the OS level). I can find nothing on the JVC site. Three owners of the Sony HDR-ZX1 experienced a similar problem, but they were able to at least get their computers to search for a driver for the device and manually assign
something they found that worked. At this point, I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed at the prospect of having to return the camera to B&H. Other than this one glitch (albeit, tremendous), I think this camera is an outstanding piece of equipment. So, can you tell me if this is a common occurrence involving the HD100U interfacing with Windows XP w/SP2; is this a common defect in the camera; is it an anomally with my camera?
I'd really appreciate a prompt response. Thanks."

What's more, I've tried brand new 6-pin cables, alternate firewire connections,
and alternate computers, including a Mac G5. The camera is not recognized when physically switched to HDV output. I've yet to hear from JVC (they don't have their holiday schedule posted). After emailing B&H, as to whether I should just return the camera, some bozo simply stated the problem was with Avid (?!) and I should purchase an alternative capture solution; he/she clearly doesn't understand my problem. Could this problem be resolved with access to the service menu in the camera? Could it just be a bad switch? Am I simply denying the fact I bought a lemon?

Harrison
Harrison L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Do you know for a fact that Avid supports JVC ProHD? To me this sounds like an Avid software compatibility issue more than anything else. I doubt that there's anything wrong with your camera except that Xpress Pro doesn't support it yet. Or does it? I'm wondering if that's been determined yet. Surely we have some HD100 owners here who are editing with Xpress Pro.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:17 AM   #3
New Boot

Yes. Avid Xpress Pro 5.2.1 supports the JVC @ 720p 30fps. There
are many success stories in the Avid forums. The problem is occuring
prior to Avid. Typically, when you connect something to your machine (USB, firewire, whatever), the machine will give you the little beep and the device's icon will appear in the lower right, or you're asked for the appropriate driver for the device. This doesn't occur with my camera. If plug the camera into the firewire port in HDV, nothing; with the camera still plugged in, if I swith to DV, Windows "beeps" and an icon of a camcorder appears; with camera still connected, I switch back to HDV, you get the "goodbye beep." I've tried every possible procedure. It's as if the camera's being shut off. I downloaded CapDVHS, just to insure there was a piece of software on the machine that was HDV ready (in the event Avid doesn't work with the camera at all); nothing; can't find a source.

Harrison
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:20 AM   #4
Major Player

An HDV camera doesn't show up as a Camera capture device like a the DV mode does on a XP machine. Seems like Windows is not 100% ready for HDV.

Capture tools like AspectHd or DVRack does see the camera.

If you turn on the sound of your computer you must hear a short sound when you plug-in or out the firewire cable.

Also a cable does make a difference. I have a 20 meters long firewire cable from Unibrain which works perfect in DV mode. But on HDV mode I get no image through.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Major Player

That doesn't sound like an Avid problem. From your description it seems that when you switch the camera to HDV the FW port gets switched off. I haven't tried it with the HD100 but I am on a dual Mac G5 and we captured footage from the Z1U and the port was recognised without problems. So I wonder if it's not a combination of settings of the HD100. Perhaps you need to activate another setting within the menu on top of the HDV/DV switch?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

If the computer is recognizing the HD100 in DV mode but not in HDV mode then I'm tempted to believe that the problem is not with the camera's FireWire connection itself. Anybody else have any input?

Harrison, just to be clear since this is your first post here, it could take a day or two or three to get some solid feedback from HD100 owners on this board. We're popular, but not instantaneous.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:29 AM   #7
New Boot

Chris,
I understand. I'm impressed to see any response this quickly. Of the numerous forums out there, I've been the most impressed with the posts
here. Thanks.

Harrison
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Harrison,

I have both the same JVC camera and the HDV deck (BR-HD50). Although the camera is not with me now at the office, I do have the deck handy and have noticed that when I turn the deck on I don't get an audible indication nor visual indication that the deck is available for use to digitize... (so I imagine it would be the same for the camera if set to HDV instead of DV). BUT when I run the "HD Link" capture utility provided with "Aspect HD" by Cineform, it does in fact see the deck in it's HDV setting and capture just fine.

Question:
Have you tried using any other application to digitize your footage? Perhaps you might try the free trial by Cineform - Aspect HD. http://www.cineform.com/

Let us know if that process works.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:02 PM   #9
New Boot

Daniel,

That's interesting to hear. I will try the cineform demo immediately.

Harrison
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:22 PM   #10
Wrangler

Is is most likely a Windows problem, followed by an Avid problem. Since the camera works in DV mode, I seriously doubt it's a camera problem.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM   #11
New Boot

Well, the fellow here that uses Premiere Pro is in a session all day, so
I can't try out the Aspect HD demo untill tomorrow morning. However, just to make certain, I ran the camera into the G5 again (running Final Cut 5.0.2); when camera's in DV mode, captures DV footage fine with responsive deck control; when HDV switched (within a new project with 720 30p settings), it can't establish communication with the deck/camera. And, of course, this is the case with my Xpress Pro HD. Even though it has presets for HDV 720 30p, does anyone know if Final Cut 5.0.2 does not support the GY-HD100U?

Harrison
Old January 4th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #12
Contributor

I have successfully digitised 720P30 in both Avid and CapDVHS.

The only thing to be careful of is that the camera is in the correct HDV mode and that you are in VTR mode prior to connecting it to the computer.

I can't remember, but I'm fairly sure that even in hDV mode the camera must show up in your devices list as a Microsoft AV/C device. If this doesn't happen then I would seriously be suspecting the camera itself.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison L. Holmes
Well, the fellow here that uses Premiere Pro is in a session all day, so
I can't try out the Aspect HD demo untill tomorrow morning. However, just to make certain, I ran the camera into the G5 again (running Final Cut 5.0.2); when camera's in DV mode, captures DV footage fine with responsive deck control; when HDV switched (within a new project with 720 30p settings), it can't establish communication with the deck/camera. And, of course, this is the case with my Xpress Pro HD. Even though it has presets for HDV 720 30p, does anyone know if Final Cut 5.0.2 does not support the GY-HD100U?

Harrison
Confirm that the camera is in 720P30 mode first (in avid or fcp5). If the camera is in 720P24 or 720P25 the transport controls will be disabled. Avid and Apple only officially support 720P30 at the moment.
If you switch to DV and it works, then it suggests to me that your tape or camera are set to DV mode (not the switch position - I mean in the camera setup menu.)
Next, make sure you are in VTR mode on the camera, and not camera mode. You should see a red LED lit up on the top that says "VTR."
Old January 4th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #14
New Boot

Yes, I've made sure it is in VTR mode prior to connecting to my machine. The blue HDV logo on the camera is illuminated. HDV-HD30P appears in the upper left of the LCD. The only footage on the tape (in the camera) was shot 720p 30. In the video format menu, while in VTR mode, Frame Rate is set to 60/30; I've tried HDV PB OUTPUT in 720P & Native (shouldn't matter anyway); PB TAPE set to HDV & AUTO, neither works. I just don't know. Avid, FCP, CapDVHS all claim "no deck," "can't find device," et cetera. I wish there were a simple step I'm carelessly overlooking.
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #15
Wrangler

Harrison,

Just out of curiosity, can you please download the free trial of HDVxDV on to your G5 and see if you can hit play and control the camera and digitize footage with it?

http://www.dvdxdv.com/HDVxDV.v1.024t.tar.gz

If it doesn't work either then there is something definitely wrong with your connection or camera. If it does work, then I would suggest running software update on the G5 and then reboot, turn camera on, and try FCP again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems