Editing Hd100 Footage With Fcp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing Hd100 Footage With Fcp

I am curious to know what settings one uses in their sequences in FCP to edit HD100 footage? What are your capture methods like? Do you use lumiere? What is this is double system stuff

Steve Mullen
HDV Cinema

I'm in india and saw your post as its day here. I'm on a treo so can't give detailed help.

I would not use lumier.

if you want to work "double system" there is a detailed explanation at my site.

If you are still working tonight and there's no answer from tim, you can buy my ebook and download it as it has several methods.

good luck!
www.mindspring.com/~d-v-c

I couldn't find anything readily accessible on his site? Please Steve enlighten us... What is the easiest most efficient method in your professional opinion? Surely many of you are using macs to edit HD100 footage yes?
Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

hope this helps, it's working for me, are you editing 24fps?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=hdvxdv

Or follow my thread on FCP 5/GY-HDV100 CODEC
Manny Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:53 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyers
What is the easiest most efficient method in your professional opinion? Surely many of you are using macs to edit HD100 footage yes?
HDVxDV is easiest and least expensive right now for ingesting sync 720p24 footage.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56015

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57357

If you have all M.O.S. footage, then use the AIC method from within FCP5 (a.k.a. "iMovie HD method") which works well and is fast.

http://www.nattress.com/Downloads/AIC_24p_Workflow.pdf
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Tim You The Man...
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

S.o.s.

Tim please what is M.O.S.?
Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #6
Major Player

M.O.S. is mute (no sync sound) footage.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #7
HDV Cinema

Quote:
I couldn't find anything readily accessible on his site?
Bruce, at the TOP OF THE PAGE YOU'LL FIND:

"To read “Editing 720p 24p Video” as referenced in HDV@Work, click on 720p24."

Did you click on 720p24?

If not -- why not? <<<< ITS FREE!

Did you order my book?

It's not that I need an order, but if I were in a life/death situation I would not expect the internet to provide a comprehensive introduction to 24P editing which I think you need. I'd buy a book and read the chapter on 24P Editing.
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Tim please what is M.O.S.?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_%28film%29
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ha ha ha mos.........
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Nab

A Tim Will you be going up to San Francisco next week?
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Bruce, at the TOP OF THE PAGE YOU'LL FIND:

"To read “Editing 720p 24p Video” as referenced in HDV@Work, click on 720p24."
I couldn't find it either Steve. Maybe you could just post the link instead of making us search your website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Did you order my book?

It's not that I need an order, but if I were in a life/death situation I would not expect the internet to provide a comprehensive introduction to 24P editing which I think you need. I'd buy a book and read the chapter on 24P Editing.
With all due respect to Steve: I don't think your book is going to be of any use to Bruce right now. The FCP double-system 720P24 solution described on page 267 is essentially a more concise version of the method we developed here last month. (BTW credit should be given to Nate Weaver for stumbling on and using the method on his music video. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....90&postcount=9)
Also, the dual-system method requires some forethought and the use of a dumb slate for syncing. I think Bruce's best bet right now is HDVxDV, and some step-by-step "hand-holding."

With all due respect to Bruce: Please calm down, take a step back, and let's start from the beginning. You have started 21 new threads in the last 3 days and frankly I'm having a hard time keeping up with you. I truly want to help you, but we need to keep the cross posting to a minimum. It is just plain confusing trying to answer you in one thread when you already have another started on the same topic somewhere else. So consider this post my response to all of your recent queries (I hope you find it.)
We have a large community of very knowledgeable people, but we do have day jobs and sometimes there are delays getting answers.

I understand that you have a deadline, you are experiencing hours and hours of downtime, and you are probably losing some sleep.
In my 11 years of post-production I've learned that it doesn't help to rush these things. We can help you and you will be fine. You are not the first to post 720P24 on a Mac with Final Cut Pro, and you are not the first to experience problems.

Your firewire problem is something weird, but I bet a fresh install of OSX and FCP will undo any problems you have accidentally created.

One last thing Bruce...with regards to your rant for Lumiere HD. I understand that you are pissed that you paid for it and it is a complicated application to understand and use (when it works properly) - especially for someone new to HDV. However, I've been as objective as possible with regards to the pros and cons of the various post-production solutions over the last few months, so I feel like this is an appropriate time to say "I told you so."
From November 4th: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....63&postcount=4

Please use the search function of the forum as much as possible. All of your issues have been discussed at length and most have solutions.

Tim
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems