New Feature Film shooting on HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #1
New Boot

New Feature Film shooting on HD100

Hello All,

I've been absent on these boards for quite a while, which is my normal opening to a post here. (Seems, my old posts have been banished to the archives. Good thing. I might have been a bit dumb sounding.)

DV since 97 before it became fashionable...was part of the beginning of HDV with my HD10U a couple of years ago...partially shot a feature on the thing with great results despite the problematic nature of the first gen HDV cam. I still regard that cam as cool and underappreciated and will continue to use it in hazardous conditions like on horseback. Shot some amazing heli footage with it last year in Montana.

Also, worked with Cineform from the beginning and will be continuing to utilize their great codec and software for post.

So, today bought a HD100 from Robert at HSR in Burbank today.

We shoot a feature starting in a week and a half with an international cast that includes as a lead, John Savage (Dear Hunter, Hair, The Onion Field, Carnivale, etc).

For the last 15 months, I've been concentrating on the ultimate in geek gear for a film...writing the script.

Yet, when the words were finally locked, it was a great pleasure to come back here and read the posts and see the test footage from the crew here on this list. I've learned a lot and believe I've made the right choice in camera...despite the SSE and the CA...

The CA? Also found that in the HD10U and found workarounds. I do believe, as many of you here concure, that it is not just a lens issue, but a combo of things that can be solved simply and effectively by understanding the limits. And limits can be very freeing and will help us remain focused on the important stuff.

And I can't complain really, how big a check couldn't I be able to write for a nice Super16mm camera right now (or a month long rental) compared with the price of a 100U? And, at least we don't have to check the, um, you know, gate...or even waste our words saying that over and over after each "good" take. And, "I thought you were supposed to pick up the 10K from Todd." "What? I'll pay your 10K when I get my negative and my girlfriend out of hock?"

One particular .m2t linked from here? At the beginning, pushing the extremes of the camera, 18db up, wide open, zoomed all the way in, 100 watt bulb lighting it, (would we do that with film?) The result: lots of that purple/cyan haze...which we could actually use as a creative choice anyway...especially on highlights...has anyone tried using cyan/magenta glasses on this stuff? It's like 4D, man!

Yet, at end of the clip, a switch; the footage was "underexposed properly" and the clear highlights on that glass "thingy" were very nice. CA gone. Just a matter of attitude and not trying to think that a screwdriver is also a hammer. Yet, I'm sure we're all completely comfortable using a screwdriver as a hammer in a pinch. And, if the story works and we shut up about that thing that only people who hang out here would notice and nobody else complains...does it really smell? It's that bear in the woods thing.

So, I hope I will be able to contribute back to this forum at least a little bit of what you all have given me. It's nice to know that others are also willing to test and pursue the bleeding edge...and share their wounds, and gamma settings, with others.

Take Care,

Rhythm Films
&
Rogue Arts Film Distribution

Last edited by Geoffrey Pepos; January 4th, 2006 at 11:57 PM.
Geoffrey Pepos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Geoffrey,

Welcome to the forum.
Myself I'm also a new user of the HD100. From all the forums I looked for, this is the best available forum I can find. Lot's of info and help from users.
After reading your mail, can't wait to see some footage of the feature film.
Please share your settings which work great for you.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Geo,

Are you going to be using 35mm lenses with the HD100U? IF so, I have a Mini35 that will allow you to do that for dirtcheap rental so you can get amazing DOF. =)
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #4
New Boot

Mini35

Yeah Brian, let's talk, email me. Our budget is stretched to breaking. (Ain't it always in Indie Film?) Will be taking advantage of the wide DOF in the cam for most of the shoot...using deep staging for the actors and layering the lighting and using our wide open "country" location to it's fullest. I don't have prime lenses, but...I live near LA and have a few connections. Thinking of a 50mm and a 100mm.

Take Care,

Rhythm Films
&
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #5
New Boot

Footage

Hey Marc,

Here is a teaser I put together last year that has SD and HDV (from the JVC HD10 and DV500) mixed...it'll give you an idea of our style and how we "fix" footage here, even before we use the far more advanced HD100U. It's windows media 720p.

http://www.mylifeinmotion.net/rhythm...serA-HD5.1.zip

Take Care,

Rhythm Films
&
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Nice stuff Geoffrey.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems