shooting with the hd100u in low light... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 11th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #1
New Boot

shooting with the hd100u in low light...

i've heard that the hd100 doesn't perform well in low light situations. anyone out there have an opinion on this? i will be shooting a doc and am looking at this camera but i will be in low light situations about 50% of the time. Also, i'm curious if shooting in hd and then downsizing to DV would improve the performance of the camera in low light? if so by how much? would it look better than a sony pd170? Also does the hd100 shot in hidef out perform the xl2 in low light situations? any info would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Loomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Loomis
i've heard that the hd100 doesn't perform well in low light situations. anyone out there have an opinion on this?
I know it's sometimes hard to search these boards BUT there are many many discussions on low light and quite a number of samples to download.

Quote:
Also, i'm curious if shooting in hd and then downsizing to DV would improve the performance of the camera in low light?
No. It's not a function of recording format, it's a function of the camera sensor.

Quote:
if so by how much? would it look better than a sony pd170? Also does the hd100 shot in hidef out perform the xl2 in low light situations? any info would be greatly appreciated.
It's not as sensitive in low light as any DV camera. Again, this very issue has been discussed many times before.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems