New Zeiss Lenses for Nikon F Mounts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 19th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #1
New Boot

New Zeiss Lenses for Nikon F Mounts

All those who have invested in the HD-100 to Nikon lens mount adapter should be very excited....! Zeiss have just announced a new range of ZF lenses that will have a Nikon F mount.
The first lens looks like a Plannar T 50mm 1.4 then there is a Plannar T 85mm 1.4 being realesed not long after. These lenses have all been colour matched through the whole range.
see more at
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...ensesnikon.asp
Paul Moss
DP - Sydney,Australia
Paul Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #2
Major Player

And given any nikon lens on a HD100 will be manual focus and exposure anyway (won't it?), there is no difference in using a Nikon lens of Zeiss ZF lens except for optical performance, you can bet the Zeiss will be very good even wide open.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:04 PM   #3
New Boot

Guy, these Zeiss lenses should be very nice wide open. The fact that they mention that the all the lense have been colour matched etc, nearly says to me that they have seen the potential to sell these lenses to the indie Film & TV market . With 5 lenses in the proposed line up, it kind of looks like a nice set of 'affordable' super speeds for anyone who has the Nikon adapter or a Mini35...?
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:30 PM   #4
Major Player

such a shame there is such a high crop factor with these lens (7x) and there really arn't any wide angle options. Yet another reason we need larger sensors!

The premiums we are being charges for 2/3" sensors is a joke.look at a Nikon D50 with a single 1.1" sensor (1.5x crop from 35mm) single CCD. Complete camera with lens for $650. Then you have the Canon 5D with a full 35mm CMOS sensor for around $3500 (no lens).

It just goes to show how much the price of manufacturing larger sensors has dropped over the last few years, its time the video industry steps up and gets out of the dark ages in this area.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:01 PM   #5
Wrangler

You could shoot a film with a Digital SLR if your were happy with 5fps.

Actually, they are perfect for stop-motion.
http://www.apple.com/pro/film/lucas/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood
It just goes to show how much the price of manufacturing larger sensors has dropped over the last few years, its time the video industry steps up and gets out of the dark ages in this area.
This is why the RED camera is such an interesting prospect.
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Tim how can you use the camera for stop motion/time laps, I can't find it in the manual. You ever tried it?
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:10 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemore Santos
Hey Tim how can you use the camera for stop motion/time laps, I can't find it in the manual. You ever tried it?
I was referring to Digital SLR cameras. THe HD100 doesn't have a built in timelapse function, but there are applications that are capable of capturing timelapse from any firewire source.
On the mac, I've used an application called BTVPro. I doubt it works with HDV yet, but it works really well with DV via firewire.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 03:26 AM   #8
New Boot

i've just finished a 30 sec TVC with the HD-100 and we had at least 5-7 sec of the TVC with timelapse.
I shot all the timelapse sequences with a Canon 1D MKII and the Canon Intervalometer ( i have been doing this for 3 years now). For any HD (tape) or TV only projects i would never shoot film again for a timelapse.
The results i have been getting with the 1D MKII are amazing. No the 1D MKII doesn't have the latitude of film ( but not far off). but what it does have going for it is, it cost effective ( no stock cost, no processing & no telecine transfers...!) it gives you close to a 4K frame size, and with After Effects on a Power Book you can preview the timelapse there on location. You can output a cineon file or a quicktime (pretty much whatever you please), send it to the post house for grading and there you have it.
Tim Burtons latest film 'Corpse Bride' was shot entirely with Canon 1D MkII's....!
Wow i have drifted off thread.....sorry.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:19 AM   #9
Major Player

5fps @ 12.8MP (64MP/s)
or 8fps @ 6.8MP (55MP/s)

HD100 = 55MP/s (per sensor)

Therefore each HD100 sensors is pushing out about 15% less pixels per second than my DSLR (Nikon D2x).
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems